Is this a good build?

In that case, he should just get an i7 then.

Ok pat check which i7 would be best.
Like I mentioned amd quads and hexas are very good at balancing things
If that weren't the case I would have got rid of my fx4100 much sooner
With that gtx770 16gb of ram you or he wouldn't even need to dream about Intel.
I still think it would be a waste of benjamins for a CPU upgrade only.

Wihout buying a new board for the AMD setup he could utilize the extra money somewhere else. He has 600 to spend. Assuming he already has 8GB of RAM he could easily get an i5, an SSD, and a GTX 960 or 970.

Ok pat check which i7 would be best.
Like I mentioned amd quads and hexas are very good at balancing things
If that weren't the case I would have got rid of my fx4100 much sooner
With that gtx770 16gb of ram you or he wouldn't even need to dream about Intel.
I still think it would be a waste of benjamins for a CPU upgrade only.

Why do you need 16Gigs of ram?

Every desktop i7 is deemed an 8 core thanks to hyperthreading, and all tests show they out perform AMD. But you pay more.

Then again, Passmark scrores for an i5 4460 beats an fx-6300 by bout 6%.

AMD only is good on a budget, but as he'd only need a new cpu if he goes intel.

Can you explain why it's not a waste to not reuse a mobo and RAM? Since the OP hasn't come back, we doin't have a full picture.

Every desktop i7 is deemed an 8 core thanks to hyperthreading, and all tests show they out perform AMD. But you pay more.

Can you explain why it's not a waste to not reuse a mobo and RAM? Since the OP hasn't come back, we doin't have a full picture.

Passmark isn't the best judgement. In this case I'd bet getting just a dedicated card would be fine.

Sorry but intel does not currently have full legit 8 cores.
HyperThreading doesn't count, would you like to go to intels official forums and prove they have 8 real cores in the current i7 series ?

I Just explain my reason to the opt why he should choose the build he wanted.
To be perfectly honest instead of us telling him to choose this or that.
Let him review on his own terms which is best for his needs.
Yes you are right patty good budget for amd and good on work productivity and gaming as well.
If it weren't for that I wouldn't dare mention amd to anyone.

Last edited:
5960x is an 8 core processor with HT giving it 16 threads in a consumer processor.

People calling mainstream i7s 8 core is no different than calling an AMD 4 module CPU an 8 core. Or a 3 module a hex core. I have 6 real cores with virtual threads in my 3960x, an FX 6300 has 3 modules with 6 gimped cores. Shared data between physical cores and shared data between a virtual and physical core to me spells the same. In the end, neither an i7 4970k or an FX 8350 is a real 8 core CPU.

5960x is an 8 core processor with HT giving it 16 threads in a consumer processor.

People calling mainstream i7s 8 core is no different than calling an AMD 4 module CPU an 8 core. Or a 3 module a hex core. I have 6 real cores with virtual threads in my 3960x, an FX 6300 has 3 modules with 6 gimped cores. Shared data between physical cores and shared data between a virtual and physical core to me spells the same. In the end, neither an i7 4970k or an FX 8350 is a real 8 core CPU.

:/ are you done now and can we move on "professor oaks" ?

Back
Top Bottom