Is this a decent PC today...

trance-n-e

In Runtime
I would just like to know if this a decent PC these days: (I know the case is shit, but the case doesnt matter to me. Its whats inside of it that counts)

# AMD Athlon64 3500+ Processor
# MSI K8NGM2-FID/K8N Neo4-F Motherboard
# 1GB (2x512MB) Kingston PC3200 DDR
# Black Supercase 115 Tower w/Front USB
# ATX 350W Power Supply
# Samsung 250GB SATA II Hard Drive
# LG 16x16 Dual Layer DVD-Burner
# eVGA e-Geforce 7300GS 256MB Videocard (Dual-Monitor, HDTV-Out)
# Intel® Onboard 10/100 Ethernet

It's OK.

It's Socket 939 and PCI-E, so you shouldn't have too many problems. Upgrading would be difficult as the power supply would be hard pressed to cope with a better graphics card.

Motherboard is nice, as is the hard drive. Enough RAM, and it's dual channel.

Not for playing games on though, as it will be slow and any more recent games will be choppy, although may be playable at low resolutions on low graphics.

Well its prebuilt PC. I would build my own, but im too afraid that il screw up. Wait...what do you mean I wont be able to play games? It has a Gefore 7300... I can always upgrade the RAM if needed too.

EDIT: Oh, and another problem. Aint AMD discontinuing socket 939 and starting up on AM2? Wont that be a problem if I would like to upgrade later? A well as the RAM is just PC, not PC2 which is the newer and faster version.

prosser13 said:
It's OK.

It's Socket 939 and PCI-E, so you shouldn't have too many problems. Upgrading would be difficult as the power supply would be hard pressed to cope with a better graphics card.

Motherboard is nice, as is the hard drive. Enough RAM, and it's dual channel.

Not for playing games on though, as it will be slow and any more recent games will be choppy, although may be playable at low resolutions on low graphics.

what are you talking about? games could be played on that, recent games too. the video card is on the weak side, but it's still a decent card, the processor is very good, and theres enough ram. the PSU isn't that bad, i have a 300 watt, and it suits me fine. and if he wants a better video card, then get a new psu...it's fine.

the computer is fine, and you'll be able to play games on it, and most wouldn't be choppy, so don't worry.

What am I talking about? I'm talking about the truth?

http://www.ausfx.com/reviews/NVIDIA/AsusEN7300GS.php

A image from there:

7300nfsmw.GIF

That is a card with pretty much the same specs, with better specs in the test rig.

30fps is the minimum playable frame rate, so your looking at about 35 to 37 frames per second as an average to be able to play the game at all times.

The card will therefore just make it at 1200x768 with no AA and no AF - hardly the best of graphics? Then theres the fact that that test rig is using an Opty 144, along with relatively low latency RAM.

So, seeing as FEAR is more graphically demanding game, you'll be struggling to play it at a decent resolution, and so you'll either have to drop the resolution and the detail or the detail even further to make it playable.

Yep, he could get a new PSU, I'm not saying he couldn't.

It's a good PC for light gaming and browsing, etc, but not for games with really good graphics.

trance - that's true, but they'll carry on with Socket 939 for a while (at least 6 months or so) and carry on creating new processors for Socket 939 - it'll turn into more of a budget Socket, with Semprons, but you'll still have an upgrade path.

PC means the RAM is DDR, PC2 means the RAM is DDR2.

AM2s main problem is that all the advantages it has are wiped out by the higher latencies of DDR2 - because DDR2 runs faster, it cannot access data in the same number of cycles, and AMD chips love low latencys. So, DDR2 is not really any faster - it does save power though :)

I agree with joepic. The AMD S.939 3500+ is a great processor for low-level gaming! But, I agree with prosser13 that a better PSU would be good. Don't worry though... that is a great system!

What im looking to know is: Will I be able to play games like FEAR with atleast medium graphics, and ofcourse any source engine games with max graphics? Also, will I be able to upgrade the video card when the 8th series comes out?

sure you would! and yes, you'll be able to upgrade the video card. im not so sure about level-medium graphics, but at low, yes you would.

Back
Top Bottom