Is there any way of converting a socket AM2 to a socket 939?

Wiredchild

In Runtime
I have a socket 939 Athlon 64 3500+, but i have no idea whether it works or not and have no socket 939 board to test it on (is there any other way of testing a CPU without putting it in a board?).

Basically, i need to buy a new motherboard, but i'm not sure whether to go for a socket 939 or a socket AM2 based on the fact that if this CPU works, i don't want to have to buy another. On the other hand, if i buy a socket 939 board and find out the CPU is knackered, then i'm going to have wished i got a socket AM2 board.

So, i was wondering, is there any way to run a socket 939 CPU on an AM2 board, as a compromise?

No, a socket 939 CPU will not work on an AM2 motherboard.

If your going to put together a new system, it would be better to go with an AM2 system as the 939 is slowly being phased out.

Sorry man, you're gonna have to decide between one or the other, personally I'd just get AM2 or hey an LGA775.

If your going to put together a new system, it would be better to go with an AM2 system as the 939 is slowly being phased out.

That was my concern; it seems stupid to buy a socket 939 motherboard nowadays, especially as socket AM2 board and CPU's are only slightly more expensive.

It's just the fact that i have this socket 939 CPU which will be going to waste. Oh well, that's the way the cookie crumbles.

Thanks for your quick responses people, really appreciated.

Back
Top Bottom