Is there an indicator light in my Usb 2.0 camera

arthurboss8

Beta member
Ok well this may sound confusing. A computer has a webcam and and an indicator light when it's turned on. I know that the indicator turns light greenish. But I last night looked into my actual computer built in webcam not the indicator light or anything. ( the little lens that takes pictures or videos on the computer.) at first I couldn't see anything. So I used my iPhone flashlight and there were 1-3 visible green dots at times. Then I investigated the matter and deleted all malicious software deleteting unnecessary programs etc. thinking that I got hacked and someone's watching me. However without my iPhone light I can only see one green dot. And this green dot Is very very small covers about 1/100 maybe even less on my Pc's lens. It can be only be seen from about 1-3 inches away from Computer Pc.After doing all that it is still there. I can also see it when the computer is turned off (shut down) (even when I'm not logged in). The interesting thing is that when i turned off all the light at about 3pm there was absolutely no green dot on my built in camera lens. (The one that takes and captures the pictures.) I am wondering if this is just a reflection. And does that small little green spec on my electronic lens mean that it's turned on? It looks electronic. With light I can see the green small dot any time my eyes are a few inches from it. Is this automatic? And is the camera turned on if the indicator light is on? I found no suspicious threats of a hack so far on my PC.

Sent from my iPhone using Computer Forums

Your camera is being used by background application, open task manager and end the apps running!

Lhakpa's iPhone

It might just be a reflection from light elsewhere. Take the laptop into a darker room and have a look.

The lenses do tend to look greet when you look at them close up (at least, mine does)

Your camera is being used by background application, open task manager and end the apps running!

Lhakpa's iPhone
Umm... that is not how malware removal works.
If it is in fact a program watching (which is very unlikely), then there are several steps that should be taken to remove it. False advice gets people hurt.

Umm... that is not how malware removal works.
If it is in fact a program watching (which is very unlikely), then there are several steps that should be taken to remove it. False advice gets people hurt.

He's not saying malware, he said background application. For example, leaving Skype open, Live Messenger, YouCam etc would all cause the camera to be on.

Thank you Joe Mad Man it turned out that it was the light. Because the more light I put on by the camera the more green circles came up. When I turned the light completely off there were absolutely no green dots.

---------- Post added at 03:15 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:15 AM ----------

Sorry I meant to say Joedaman!

Joe Mad Man :lol:

I used this username when I was younger on other sites, and didn't have the imagination to change it to anything else :rolleyes:

You're very welcome! Glad to have been helpful.

He's not saying malware, he said background application. For example, leaving Skype open, Live Messenger, YouCam etc would all cause the camera to be on.
Sorry. I made an assumption based on the post. "When you assume, it makes an a*s out of you and me." :lol:

Jokes aside, I would never recommend ending random processes. Know what you have installed. But ending random processes can end in a bluescreen, which means that any read or write fails. It generally ends well, but you dont want to be on the bad end of it not ending well.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom