Is there a way to creat RAID 0 externally?

Smart_Guy

Fully Optimized
Well?

I have a HDD docking and an external USB3 HDD player on my main computer and the data I want to migrate to the other computer on this RAID 0 setup is already there and that's why I'm not just connecting the two HDD's on the other computer and setup the RAID 0 there.

Can I use that to create two HDD's in RAID 0 then put them on another computer? The main computer has enough space to temporary use for data transfer if needed. It's for storage only. The other computer already has Windows 10 on an SSD.

I think you could setup a pool with storage spaces and then move the drives to the other computer. Not exactly a raid but it will do striping. Also make sure you have a backup.

The docking requires an HDD to transfer files and I don't have an extra HDD for that. The other computer also does not support USB3 and using it there takes ages to transfer the already set files anyway.

By "externally" I mean by removing the HDD's from the target computer and work on them on another computer because they are full already. If they were not, all this wouldn't be necessary. E.g. computer A has two almost full HDD's. I want to remove them and use computer B to store their files then restore the files to them but by stripping then return the two HDD's to computer A setting them up as RAID 0.

RAID 0 doubles the performance and adds up the total capacities of the two HDD's.

Last edited:
You could just try. It's really easy to set up RAID in Windows. Plug them in, backup the data and set it up. Then try just unmounitng and connect them to the other computer. The only thing you can loose is time.

That's the plan now that computer A has space to temporarily backup the files.

One of the HDD's has serious latency/access time problems. I'm fully formatting it now to try it. If it's no use, no RAID.

Any external drive are considered removable drive. I don't know if you can use them in a RAID configuration.

Then again I don't know anything about RAID. :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom