Is there a program....

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not completely sure what you mean, but if I even understand a little, I think you may be able to do this through Excel or some other spreadsheet program with a little effort.

I'm not completely sure what you mean, but if I even understand a little, I think you may be able to do this through Excel or some other spreadsheet program with a little effort.

I don't have much experience with program writing. That's why I was hoping somebody here could help me out. :(

You may not need to go that route, but I'm having a really hard time understanding what you need done. Perhaps you should make a diagram and post it? Sounds like that may be helpful in getting your point across.

You may not need to go that route, but I'm having a really hard time understanding what you need done. Perhaps you should make a diagram and post it? Sounds like that may be helpful in getting your point across.

THERE ARE 2 LETTERS(NAMES) IN A SET. EACH LETTER IN THE SETS HAS A VALUE. YOU CAN ONLY PICK ONE LETTER FROM EACH SET.

SETS VALUE

A = +1
B = -1
--------------------------------------------------------
C = +3
D = -3
---------------------------------------------------------
E = +7
F = -7
---------------------------------------------------------
So if you can only pick one letter from each set you could end up with:

A,C,F
A,D,E
A,C,E
B,D,F
B,D,E
B,C,E
B,C,F

See what I'm trying to do here. I want to have a program that will do this for me showing all the possible combinations. I need to be able to put names in each set and assign a value for each and then process to SEE all the different combinations.

THERE ARE 2 LETTERS(NAMES) IN A SET. EACH LETTER IN THE SETS HAS A VALUE. YOU CAN ONLY PICK ONE LETTER FROM EACH SET.

Knowing this helps a little, however you are gonna get no help unless you answer at least these questions: Will all the letters in the alphabet be considered? Are the values assigned to these letters permanent? Can you in any way add two or more letter? How do values get assigned to each letter? Can the combinations have more than 3 items? How many (2-letter) sets can you have?

*Other thoughts: since there are 2 items per set, the # of combinations possible are 2^n where n is the number of sets. Example 2^3 = 8.

UPDATE: I might have it now, I think you want this:
here is some pseudocode (for the program):

Code:
enter values for first set (A, B):   *user enters 2 values which are assigned to A and B*

second set
third set
nth set

/* program now prints all the possible combinations */

your combinations are: A,C,D,.....,Y     1,2,3,.....,20
                       A,D,F,.....,Z     2,8,6,.....,7

and so on.

I hope this is it. I can't really make a program for you (I'm busy writing a program I have for homework), but hopefully some one else can write this for you (it's quite simple).

By the way, what is this for?

Knowing this helps a little, however you are gonna get no help unless you answer at least these questions: Will all the letters in the alphabet be considered? Are the values assigned to these letters permanent? Can you in any way add two or more letter? How do values get assigned to each letter? Can the combinations have more than 3 items? How many (2-letter) sets can you have?

*Other thoughts: since there are 2 items per set, the # of combinations possible are 2^n where n is the number of sets. Example 2^3 = 8.

UPDATE: I might have it now, I think you want this:
here is some pseudocode (for the program):

Code:
enter values for first set (A, B):   *user enters 2 values which are assigned to A and B*

second set
third set
nth set

/* program now prints all the possible combinations */

your combinations are: A,C,D,.....,Y     1,2,3,.....,20
                       A,D,F,.....,Z     2,8,6,.....,7

and so on.

I hope this is it. I can't really make a program for you (I'm busy writing a program I have for homework), but hopefully some one else can write this for you (it's quite simple).

By the way, what is this for?

It's just something I can relate to in my career field. To answer your questions. The letters were an example, I would like to be able to type in names, places or objects in the place of the letters. The values are not permanant and I will I assign the values everytime I use the program. You can have as many 2 set combinations you like. For every set you have there will be one pick from each set. So if you have 4 sets then you will have 4 items in the output. If you have 3 sets like in my example you will have 3 items in the output.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom