Is there a place to buy customizable prebuilts?

Archlvt

In Runtime
I don't want to build my own pc from scratch, not so much because I can't, but because I want to be able to hold somebody accountable if something goes wrong, as they often do whenever I upgrade my PCs.

Thing is, I have a good video card and psu lined up already, so I don't want to pay for the gpu and psu that comes with a prebuilt on newegg. Is there some way to buy the tower, motherboard, cpu, ram etc all together but with no psu and gpu so that I can just install my own when the time comes?

I don't want to build my own pc from scratch, not so much because I can't, but because I want to be able to hold somebody accountable if something goes wrong, as they often do whenever I upgrade my PCs.

Thing is, I have a good video card and psu lined up already, so I don't want to pay for the gpu and psu that comes with a prebuilt on newegg. Is there some way to buy the tower, motherboard, cpu, ram etc all together but with no psu and gpu so that I can just install my own when the time comes?

You might want to check out some local computer shops. This way, you could order all your parts off Newegg and have them build it all for you. Otherwise, I'd just say bite the bullet and do it yourself.

This link takes you to HP's customizable desktops

Otherwise I would order parts of Newegg or Ebay and take them to a local computer shop/geek squad and usually they have a small fee to build it all/install the OS/O.C. to your specs. Pyramid Computer Services chages 299$ to put everything together and install the O.S.. I've never done anything like that before but I'm going to learn how to because 300 dollars to just do that seems waaay too pricey.

What I did was wright down a list of parts I had thought would be a good computer for my price range and went down to geeksquad. I asked them if all of the parts I selected were compatible and if I should make any changes.

Some might even make you sign a waiver so they aren't held responsible if something happens to the parts you brought in anyway.

You might want to check out some local computer shops. This way, you could order all your parts off Newegg and have them build it all for you. Otherwise, I'd just say bite the bullet and do it yourself.

Really won't help you out for what you want though. Coming from a local shop I can tell you that we wouldn't warranty anything but our labor past 30 days. If anything fails with the part, it's not our responsibility as we didn't sell it to you. Not to mention labor charges. In all honesty, you are only wasting money by buying everything and paying for labor for someone else to build it.

I should clarify, we'd only warranty labor for 30 days. Nothing beyond.

I don't want insurance for faulty parts. I want insurance in case I screw up. I would be far too nervous to put a pc together from scratch as I've only upgraded a few components before, and it's not a $700ish bet that I'm willing to take.

It's not even so much insurance that I want, it's the peace of mind of knowing that it was done professionally.

If I put it together and something doesn't work, I'll have an anxiety attack and freak out. If someone else puts it together and it doesn't work, all I have to do is take it back in.

Barebones @ tigerdirect is a very good start and a push in the direction I was looking for. When I order the OTHER parts though (the ram, the hard drive etc) they won't install it first will they? It'll come separate?

The mobo is the part I was dreading doing, so this is the worst of it out of the way. The only other thing too is that it doesn't seem to wanna let me remove the gpu and psu from the bundle. Here's what I'm looking at.

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=6256262&CatId=332

This is canadian btw, the american pricing for this was 299. I just hate that I'll be paying for a psu and gpu that I'll effectively be throwing in the trash. I'll try the cyberpower thing and see what I end up with. I have a feeling it'll be overpriced though...

*edit*

I just tried building a pc on cyber, and there are a few things that I just have no idea what to select. I know nothing about hard drives and even less about mobos. All I know about are CPUs, RAM, GPUs, and PSUs, two of which I already have. There were 8 or 9 total options that I had absolutely no idea what to choose because I didn't know whether I needed them or what they do. Random things, noise reduction and things like that. I'm too new at this lol. Maybe I'll get the tigerdirect one instead and put the rest together, unless someone would like to build me a pc on cyberpower.

If that's the case, my requirements are the AMD phenom II x4 965 cpu, 4gb ram (8 if it fits into the budget), at least a 1tb hard drive. My current 300gb is nowhere near big enough and I'm always deleting stuff. Make sure there is no video card, and get the cheapest psu (it won't let me NOT get a psu, which would be the optimal choice). A nice big tower would be good with lots of ventilation and cooling, because my video card tends to overheat a lot in my crappy old inspiron 530 case (yeah I know, dell sucks, I got this years ago and have been slowly upgrading it). I'd like for it all to total under $800, which should be possible considering I'm not buying a video card or a good PSU. I don't need a monitor either. Don't forget to check off the Fall Special items for ordering a x4 cpu.

If I missed any info let me know. This is all assuming anyone is willing to build one on the site for me, which I would be appreciative of, but I don't expect anyone to actually take the time. Actually, now that I think about it, if anyone's willing to take the time to go through this with me in an instant messenger or something, I'll send you the copy of STALKER that comes free with the x4 cpu purchase as payment for your time.

Back
Top Bottom