is there a part of internet that got lost somewhere?

raverx3m

Daemon Poster
the part that was supposed to be the internet?
educational and legit information and commercial free?

I found myself searching for information only to get dumped on with complete bs and garbage all the time.
in the late 90s early 2000s even with dialup I didn't have to search long to find legit content that was useful and was not asking me to sign up for something or buy some crap or asking for all my personal information...

i feel like theres a chunk of internet that went missing some time ago

I think you forgot how bad the internet was back in the early 2000's on dial-up. Every website I would go would throw out pop-up advertisements just about, you couldn't find a website without heavy advertising unless it was a small non-profit website or news related website.

Don't forget the ridiculously annoying viruses (Sasser, Iloveyou, MyDoom, and similar) that would come along once a year and rape everyone if they didn't stay updated because they was on dialup and wanted to load a single website instead of installing that 4 hour update.

You can find a wealth of information online, but you need to know what you're searching for and use multiple sources to verify if what you're reading is accurate.

The internet has almost never been "commercial free" and it's pretty much the same today as it was 20 years ago, aside from added layers of security.

Last edited:
but there was a lot less garbage info
people actuallycared about what they put on the internet.

but there was a lot less garbage info
people actuallycared about what they put on the internet.

I don't know if that's necessarily true. Was definitely "less" info out there...but i wouldn't say less garbage info in a relative sense.

Back
Top Bottom