Is the AMD R9 380X still worth buying?

well nothing wrong with asking, its far from a dumb inquiry as we dont know how long the shortage will be.
It could be months from now when the card is available and having a nice fallback is not a bad idea.
You dont put all your money on one racehorse.

It's the same song and dance for every release. 1070s and 1080s were starting to become available just 2 weeks after release. Will be the same for 1060s and 480s. 1060 FE is actually currently available on Nvidia.com for 299.

I am waiting to see prices come down as I need to replace the 290 I have been using for a few years now. Waiting for the 480 to come down in price seems like a good answer for you- Sept is only really about 40 days out. so, unless you are without a card currently - waiting a few weeks seems prudent.

come september you might grab a aftermarket 1060/rx 480 on sale for back to school... do not under any circumstances buy old tech new at the regular msrp currently. Im going to come straight out and say it the r9 380x is going to be considered junk for the money come September...

Well found a GTX 960 for a reasonable price:

EVGA GeForce GTX 960 DirectX 12 04G-P4-3965-KR 4GB 128-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 SLI Support ACX 2.0+ Video Card - Newegg.com

I may go for it as a used one is only $10 less
Even if it goes into its main price again of $220 that is still in my range

Its a nice fallback methinks

come september you might grab a aftermarket 1060/rx 480 on sale for back to school... do not under any circumstances buy old tech new at the regular msrp currently. Im going to come straight out and say it the r9 380x is going to be considered junk for the money come September...

Well I wanted to have something that is near as capable for the budget I have.
I know that better cards are on the horizon but I am going for what i can get and afford.
Now the GTX 960 is the better card yes from what I have read but i wanted to remain in budget and even some of the 960's are being price hiked a bit

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom