is the 4200+ worth it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
john3 said:
no technically u dont oc its 400 Mhz, u oc the fsb by about 15mhz, depending on the multiplier. which almost any CPU can do, unless of course its just awful.

You sort of made my point for me. I was saying just in case the CPU is just crap...:D

EDIT: A 400mHZ OC by a 15mHZ fsb increase?? That makes a multiplier of almost 27

um....no........wait....i calculated it differently, i thought we were comparing it to a 3800+, not a 4200+ which is not even worth the money....anywayz. how did i make ur point for u? because even an opteron has as likely a chance as an x2 to be a dud, u better get the x2 so that if the opteron is a dud, ull have 200 more mhz. good argument, if u tell everyone here that with an opteron 165 or 170, they would probably laugh, because they have all succesfully gottten there fsb oc'd more than 15 mhz.

john3 said:
um....no........wait....i calculated it differently, i thought we were comparing it to a 3800+, not a 4200+ which is not even worth the money....anywayz. how did i make ur point for u? because even an opteron has as likely a chance as an x2 to be a dud, u better get the x2 so that if the opteron is a dud, ull have 200 more mhz. good argument, if u tell everyone here that with an opteron 165 or 170, they would probably laugh, because they have all succesfully gottten there fsb oc'd more than 15 mhz.

Seeing that I own an opty 165 as well as an X2 processor, obviously, the 165 SHOULD OC the 400mhZ easily. Just in case it doesn't, I suggested the 3800+, becuase the guy specifically asked for an X2 processor and doesn't seem very comfortable with OCing.

well u cant know if he seems comfortable with ocing or not, cause he hasnt said anything, and an x2 is a dual core processor, and an opteron 165 is dual core, so it really would depend on does he want to do overclocking (which i strongly suggest he learns if he doesnt know)

Thanks for all the help I think Im going to go with the 3800+. I have never OC'd before but i plan on doing some this time around.

You are assuming that based on OCing capability. The key word is capability . If he gets a dud core or uses a bad stepping, the Opterons could turn out to be a bad choice for him.

Go with the X2 3800+ over the X2 4200+, like everyone said.

i'll settle this argument. for starters the opteron 165 at stock speed should perform quite similarly to the x2 3800+ at stock. with an opteron you are pretty much guaranteed at least a 200mhz overclock due to the fact they are speedbinned to about 200mhz higher than the frequency they are locked at.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom