Is "portable apps.com" safe?

alucard10

Baseband Member
Is "portable apps.com" safe?

I remember at "cnet" there is usually multiple choices of the same program to download and in some of the comments people say stuff like "dont download this it has oppen candy or it has add where or its fake".

Do I have to be care full with portible apps.com? or are portble apps inherently safe?

Does any one have any experyance with the site "portable apps.com"?

I only use majorgeeks.com for stuff. They install and check each and every app before they post it, and will pull one if it changes to include crap like that.

What kind of apps do they have, I have never heard of them. If I need software, I buy the software I need from the company that makes it.

Heres one of the apps I was thinking of.
VLC Media Player Portable | PortableApps.com - Portable software for USB, portable and cloud drives

P.S.
About the nature of the portable apps themselves.
1-I want to put vlc portable on some of my carry around usb thumb drives, so that I can guarantee the video files on the thumb drives will play on any random computers I encounter, like for example a in a campus/library computer lab or on a friends computer.Would this be an intended or possible use for the vlc portable app?

2- once you download a portable app can you just simply drag,drop and copy the portable app to as many usb flash drive as you need? Or is the process of putting the app on flash drives more complicated?

Portableapps.com is a safe website that has been around for many years. The whole idea of a portable app is that it can be moved around and such without needing to be installed or requiring it to write anything to the system it is being run on.

Many software packages are available as a portable version, you may be able to download a portable version directly from the developer website. Portableapps.com collects portable apps and puts them all in one place to make things more convenient. You can download their "platform" which allows you to create a bootable thumb drive with a menu system for all of your portable apps but their platform isn't required download and use the apps.

Thanks For the info guys.
I dowloaded vlc portable from portable apps.com and it works.

(One weird thing is it takes 30 to 90 seconds to launch it ,but once its on you can play as many videos as you want and they start instantly. You just got to be careful not to close the window or you will have to wait 30 to 90 seconds to relaunch the program.)

P.S.
Is it still possible to stream youtube and other video sites from the vlc player? I tried it and it doesn't seem to work.

Last edited:
I would guess that apps that run off a USB are going to take a while to load, that's normal.

As far as streaming video from VLC, I never tried it before so I wouldn't know about that. The only thing I run off a USB is Ubuntu.

Back
Top Bottom