is ocing worth it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Augsy

In Runtime
I was thinking about trying out ocing on my new computer. Im wondering is it worth having to buy better ram, a better mobo, and better cooling? And how much can you OC on average without wrecking ur system?

I have never attempted to OC anything other than my Graphics card. If I get the same good results with a CPU/Ram as i did with my agp card, then i would say yes, it is worth it. Although you will need adequate cooling.

I does make a big difference, but it depends on the card. You can OC more the newer cards.

Depends what your doing, I use my computer for home theatre sometimes, I played some of those windows HDTV movies but it was skipping. Overclocked it slightly and it ran smooth.

Augsy said:
I was thinking about trying out ocing on my new computer. Im wondering is it worth having to buy better ram, a better mobo, and better cooling? And how much can you OC on average without wrecking ur system?

Well it all depends on exactly what your OC'ing, some stuff will barely overclock, some are locked from overclocking, and some are great to overclock :)

OC'ing is well worth it though.

Probably be better to ask what motivates people to overclock...........

some do it for sport...........
some do it for better gameplay.........
some do it to get the performance they desire........
some do it cause all their friends do it........

dont know what the average increase is, in the neighborhood of 30%-40% depending on lots of factors would probably be a decent estimate

people will "hot rod" anything, including PC's

is it worth overclocking?
it depends on a number of things:
it depends on how high you can overclock, how much you need/have to spend on cooling, what programs you are running and whether they will see a big gain from overclocking, what the risk of overclocking your particular hardware is.....

well heres my computer specs:

2 Case Fans
Asus A8N-E nF4 Ultra Socket 939
Athlon 3200+
OCZ PC-3200 DDR400 Premier Series 1GB (2x512MB) Dual Channel Kit
eVGA 6800 GT
OCZ modstream 450 watt PS
200 GB S-ATA.

Are those good OCing parts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back