Is my RoG laptop upgradable?

mal

In Runtime
Hello! Haven't posted here in a damn long time but you guys always have helpful responses!
Glad to see I haven't forgot my password lol...

I have a 3 years old GL552VW laptop, Republic of Gamers, and it getting really slow.
For exemple, when I have 2 or 3 youtube pages opened, if I watch one video, it is freezing and getting pitch black, even if the other videos are paused. It gets Chrome to reset each times.
Also I have hard time to run Photoshop; it takes a minute to open a simple picture!
I have reeinstalled Chrome, did a total cleanup, my drivers are up to date
... so could it be memory, graphic card or anything else?

From what I can find you can only upgrade the RAM and storage on it. The RAM is upgradeable to 32GB, whereas you could put in as large of capacity SSD as you can get.

Have you tried using something besides Chrome to see if it is the issue?

tried basic Microsoft Edge, it is doing the same thing: black screen of the video area.
I have really noticed a downing of performances over the years. I'm suspecting internet's new technologies?

Possible. If you can stomach the thought you might want to try a fresh install of Windows. Not that I recommend something like that for the one issue but rather because you said that you are seeing a decrease in performance.

thanks i have considered that option.. might go there, but are the video card or Ram upgradable? (here the local stores are all shut down with the famous ''virus'' so no answers)

Just RAM between those two. The GPUs of laptops are built into the mobo and are permanent.

If you haven't already, you need to put an SSD in that laptop immediately. From what I'm seeing they shipped with a spinner and that will hamper all your performance.

As for your video issues you can troubleshoot by disabling the onboard video to see if you can replicate the problem on dedicated video. I know that a lot of laptops running Optimus has many issues with the GPU swapping from 3D to 2D applications and video decoding.

Back
Top Bottom