Is my new Motherboard dead already?

defl8or

Baseband Member
Recently, I upgraded my GPU from an HD 7770 to an HD 7970, and I noticed I was getting FPS drops in games. I figured the VRMs were overheating on my old board (ASUS M5A78L-M LX V2) so I got a new board. A Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3. Apart from the unrelated issue of a winows crash on startup, which was fixed by switching from AHCI to IDE to boot and install drivers, the only seemingly minor issue was that I could no longer get as many FPS on lower settings in CS:GO as I could before. I could get more on maxed settings, and I got 3X as many FPS on Furmark, so it was an issue I was sure i could get to the bottom of.
BUT: The next day, I tried to power my PC on, and nothing happened. The fans spin, but there is no HDD activity, no POST screen (I guess...I dunno cus i got no picture on my screen) no beeps from the little case speaker...nothing. just fans at low RPM. I tried resetting CMOS (though shorting the pins in the dark with a screwdriver was tricky and I dunno if I got them. I'll try again this afternoon using the jumper from my old board, if it fits) I tried swapping the RAM around, putting it in different slots, trying one stick at a time, in different slots. I replaced the GPU with my old one, and all that happened was that the fan's RPM would kind of pulse. I'd had that problem before, and it was a failed PSU, so I went and got a new one. (The old one was a 500watt, so was cutting it pretty close)
Anyway, I just installed the new PSU, and I'm getting the same thing. I only plugged in the drive with my operating system on.
I need to try clearing the CMOS properly, and I need to maybe try different RAM, though I don't have any spare, and it worked fine for a day.
But...it's looking like either the board just died after 1 day of use, or the CPU died after one day in a new board. Both of which seem kind of odd. I still have my old board, so i can put everything back on that to rule out the CPU and the RAM, but I'd prefer to check first, to see if there are any checks i can do without having to strip everything outta there.
Any ideas? Oh, the CPU is an FX 8350, cooler is a coolermaster hyper 212 evo, My OS is on a Samsung 840 SSD. The RAM...I dunno. It was Kingston, i remember that. And I know it's 2X4GB, but without going and looking, that's all I know.
Old PSU was a corsair CX500. New one is a CX600m, and second-hand cus I wasn't sure enough that it was the cause.
I think that's all the info. Any ideas?

^ Do this. Especially check to make sure the EPS (8 pin) CPU power is plugged in.

If you have a multimeter, it'd be worthwhile to check the 12 and 5 volt rails for consistency.

You bought a used PSU? How old was it? They degrade from age and now I wonder if your PSU is up to snuff to handle that card.

By the way I'm running my HD7770 on my Seasonic 520W PSU and it's all stable. It probably can handle the new card too.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom