Is my laptop HDD toast?

testman

Baseband Member
My Mom has an HP Pavilion DV6000 that only my mom, sis and dad uses. yesterday I reformated using the built in HP recovery tool, and all was fine. Today however while I was doing more work on it, the laptop went into standby sicne the battery was slow. When I plugged the power adapter back I was presented with a black screen that said about Hibiration not being able to recover. It told me at the bottom to click to continue so I tried but the mobo gave a lup beep. After turning it off, windows wont boot it, and stays stuck with a black screen with the blinking white underscore at the top right hand. After restarting I went into the bios and ran the hdd self test which ended up giving me a 1- 05 error. The error I can find on google is the 1 - 07 error but not the 05. I also tried booting into a windows xp disc, but it doesnt look like its working. So should I try replacing the hdd? Where can I grab one below 50 bucks, the hdd can be around 40 - 80gb for all I care. Thanks, guys.

EDIT: I was thinking of grabbing this one
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148444

Oh man this day just got worse, my dell mini 10 which I got yesterday is also unable to boot windows, Ive been running a server program in windows xp for around 5 hours striaght, and it just shut down on me. The netbook was very hot when it shut down. Now when I load the netbook it says loading pbr for descriptor 2 while the hdd makes load clicking nosies and it ends up saying failed to which I just turn it off. I just tried to boot into the bios and it worked, but hdd made some weird sounds and the bios froze after 10 secs of going through the sections. Now Im just waiting for the netbook to cool down before I try anything. I dont have a external dvd drive lying around to run windows xp, do ill probably end up sending it back for a replacement. This time I tired pressing F11 at startup to enter into recovery but it gave em the following errors Media test failure, check cable then
exiting PXE ROM and finally Operating system not found. Help please I just had two laptops die on me on the same day =[

2 laptops in the same day is unlucky... how are they being treated? Are they on a desk constantly, or prone to being dropped, moved about etc.? If it's the latter then this could quite easily be the cause of the problem.

Though that said, if you got it yesterday and it just gave up on you definitely send it back and don't open it up - if you do you might invalidate the warranty and make things a lot more complicated.

And yus, just to confirm, clicking noises like the above mean the drive has almost definitely had it.

Yeah, I don't use it, but its probably seen a lot of windows did not start normally messages since my mom does not shut it down right most of the time, and the battery doesn't hold on charge for that long anymore. Alright my last question is, what should I do when I change the hdd on the hp laptop, I have a windows XP disc I can use, even tough the laptop was preloaded with vista. So I should be fine using that, if I install all the xp drivers found on hp's site right after I install XP.

But what concerns me in the trackpad or keyboard not working after installing xp, since its one of the drivers found on hp. Would the trackpad/keyboard work with a windows xp disc? And is it safe it to use XP even though the laptop came with vista? I was thinking of ordering a recovery disc, but only as a last resort.

I haven't had any driver problems with trackpads or keyboards for a LONG time... unless there's some very special features on them. But I'd be very surprised if the basic functionality doesn't work at all!

Back
Top Bottom