is my GPU dead?

terrelljames91

Baseband Member
well, i guess i did not learn my lesson the first time, bought another card off ebay, and yet again, it isint working right

when i first got the card, it worked fine, every once in a while it would randomly shut down the display and ramp the fan up to 100%, it would do this about once a week.....ok what ever maybe its bad update, so i ended up just reformatting my HDD and installing all new drivers, PROBLEM SOLVED, i shut the pc down last night, go to turn it on today,

the computer will boot to the windows loading screen, but as soon as it finishes loading and gets ready to show the desktop, the screen shuts off and the GPU fan instantly goes to 100%

iv booted into safe mode and it dsnt seem to do it there?
iv also tried my old HD5870, and its working on that just fine

its a HD6950

what the heck is going on? dont tell me i jut blew another $200 on ebay to a guy selling a bad card

**quick update

right after i posted this thread, i used my 5870 to uninstall CCC and any AMD drivers associated with the computer, i have no just reinstalled the 6950 and it booted fine! im not sure if it will crash later and i just got a lucky boot, i dont see how drivers could work for a wekk or two, and then suddenly stop working? but hopefully it was just a driver issue

This is strange, I really am thinking it may do it again.

What are the temps on the GPU? Try installing speed fan and keep the GPU fan speed at 50%

I'm thinking your PCI 2.0 x 16 or 3.0 x 16 slot is corrupted. Try a different video card that you may have laying around or buy a cheap one and try it.... This is my guess

your right, card did it again, wtf, i use CCC to adjust the fan speed and monitor temps, right now its sitting at 37c under idle, underload i max out around 60c and i keep the can at a constant 50%

so temps are not my problem from what i can see, the motherboard is an ASROCK990fx so there are 3 PCI slots, iv tried it in another slot just for giggles, and it did the same exact thing, i have my old 5870 that i can throw in, and the computer works perfectly fine, and that card was in the PC for a good 2-3 months without a problem, which is why im leaning more twords the card is toasted, which really sucks, cuz this card was amazing,

your right, card did it again, wtf, i use CCC to adjust the fan speed and monitor temps, right now its sitting at 37c under idle, underload i max out around 60c and i keep the can at a constant 50%

so temps are not my problem from what i can see, the motherboard is an ASROCK990fx so there are 3 PCI slots, iv tried it in another slot just for giggles, and it did the same exact thing, i have my old 5870 that i can throw in, and the computer works perfectly fine, and that card was in the PC for a good 2-3 months without a problem, which is why im leaning more twords the card is toasted, which really sucks, cuz this card was amazing,

I don't think it's dead.... If it comes and goes, then there's something else wrong other than that. A braindead GPU wouldn't come and go, it would be dead as a doornail=no display=no activity. I think your slot is shot....

I don't think it's dead.... If it comes and goes, then there's something else wrong other than that. A braindead GPU wouldn't come and go, it would be dead as a doornail=no display=no activity. I think your slot is shot....

but my other card works perfectly fine? could it be a PSU? i know the 6950 draws more power then then 5870, so maybe my PSU is ****

but my other card works perfectly fine? could it be a PSU? i know the 6950 draws more power then then 5870, so maybe my PSU is ****

You know dude, you probably just solved your problem :D. If memory serves me correct, you need a 500 watt+ PSU. What do you currently have??

You know dude, you probably just solved your problem :D. If memory serves me correct, you need a 500 watt+ PSU. What do you currently have??

i have an 850w by kentek, the card started doing it again and wont even boot to the desktop anymore, by 5870 works perfectly fine so im not thinking its the mother board,

im going to just buy a new 6950, and sell my 5870 maybe ill see if they will work in crossfire, if not, atleast ill have a working card again

Back
Top Bottom