Is my Cmos battery going out?

I've just had a interesting issue. About 1 month ago I turned my computer on and booted into windows. After Everest got launched up my overclock had reset itself back to defaults.

I don't think I messed with any settings. So I restart and load my overclock profile. Everything goes back to normal the overclock loads and I go about my day.

Well today I turn on my computer and at the bottom of the bios screen it said something about overclock reset for some reason blah blah blah. I guess I should have wrote it down. I figured ehh and loaded into windows. Now my clocks are back to default. I have not tried to reset them yet i'll edit that in within a few minutes here.

The thing that makes me think its the Cmos is my Vista time clock keeps getting like 3 hours behind. I'll log into windows it will show the current time but after a few minutes its 3 hours behind and I have to go in and change it. Its been doing that for a little while now.

I'm wondering could the battery be going out all my temps are great and its stress tested. Or is something about to die?

Edit in: I just rebooted and loaded my overclock back up. It booted into windows fine like it always does. Its just weird that it reset back to defaults. I'll be sure to write what it says if it does it again.

Either way, go ahead and replace the battery, it won't hurt anything as long as you get the same size/type of battery. If its not the battery, then I have no idea. It sounds like a battery problem, though.

My battery cant hold a charge. If I cut the power to my computer ( power bar ) for longer than 10 minutes, I loose all my bios settings for overclocking and such.

Thanks for the response. It booted up fine tonight. So its been roughly 14hrs since it was last on. Like I said it seems like it looses it from time to time.

Now whats weird when I started up my clock was correct. After everything loaded and I got online my clock is now 3 hours slow. It doesn't make any sense.

BTW is this a standard battery I can get from wal mart or do I need to go to like radio shack or something?

as long as you have your computer plugged into the wall (you dont nessacarily have to have it on) it wont drain a charge from your CMOS battery. unless you unplug your computer\turn of your surge protector than you shouldnt even be using your battery.

Try this:

1. Open up your case.
2. Position your digitus secundus on a plane perpendicular to the top of the CMOS battery.
3. Apply a force downwards to the top of the CMOS battery. Ensure that it is securely fastened in its slot.

Seems more likely that it wiggled loose when you were working on it then it getting drained.

Back
Top Bottom