Is making a profit off of jailbreaking ipods illegal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AMDSCOrPiO

Daemon Poster
As the title says, I put an add up on a public site offering a service to jailbreak ipod touch's and iPhones. I recieved an email from a guy saying "If you do not send me a copy of your license for doing this service, I will take you to court for fraud chargers.".

So my question is, is jailbreaking illegal, and is making money off of jailbreaking for others illegal?

IMO, i dont think it is because I see stores offering to mod xbox's and wii systems. To me its the same as jailbreaking.

You are going to jail young man.....

Why do you charge them? ITs preety simple to do... Don't rip off people.

Just give them the program, and if they can't do it just charge them.

That way you are getting out of trouble. (cause they did it, not you, you are just "helping them")

Jailbreaking a iPhone is illegal. It goes against the TOS and EULA of the phone. Not to mention Apple's software agreement and AT&T's agreement with not only with Apple but with the people.

Yeah Jailbreaking is illegal in many ways. Those stores that you see offering to Mod XBOX's and Wii's are also breaking the law.

I have seen articles before where Microsoft has shut down some stores for offering this service.

microsoft shuts down store for offering XBOX Mods - Google Search

So yeah even they are not within legal rights to do that stuff.

As far as I know unless it started life as a pay as you go phone, you haven't got it insured an you only sell it in parts of the EU (germany, netherlands, poland, england & France for sure) where there is a fair use policy for electronic goods in your country, I also think there is somthing todo with the phones insurance that you might have to factor in.

Best thing to do is not do it, oh an unless the guy who sent you the email was a member of staff of the excluse provider in your country or Apple there prity much trying to blow smoke up your ***.

Why would it be okay to jailbreak a touch and not a iPhone? They are basically the same thing. Add the phone feature to the touch and you have the same device. ;)

jailbreaking is breaking the EULA with apple, not breaking any laws, but making money off of jailbreaking is what confuses me.

Contracts are legally enforcable, an EULA is a type of contract, so while it may not be a crime per say, you can be sued and suffer various types of damages.

Its simply best that you do not advertise your services publically.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom