Is It True You Can't Get Malware On Apples?

You've probably heard people like big Apple Fans that will "Macs don't get viruses" well that isn't entirely true anymore as there has and is a growing number of viruses and malware targeting Macs. So chances are depending on how bad and agressive the virus/malware is it can infect it badly making virus/malware software miss picking it up and stopping it.

Someone else might be able to explain better.

What BK 123 says basically. Any computer device, PC, Mac, Android tablet, Android phone or Iphone can pick up a virus especially, but not exclusively, can get a virus. Because Apple devices are not as widely used as Microsoft based computers viri haven't been as common but they are out there and no computer device is completely safe. Just as no antivirus or antimalware is 100% effective. so buy your stuff and take the chance like the rest of us and try to make it slightly more difficult for the scroats to mess up up your life by using antivirus and antimalware

Macs have been the subject of hacker meetings. They have proven there are ways to get in to macs, so yes they can be gotten in to.

It's UNIX based, not Windows based; and most conventional malware out there is designed to target Windows because it is the largest demographic. Mac OS is not immune to viruses, but given that most viruses are designed to target Windows it might seem that way to some.

It's UNIX based, not Windows based; and most conventional malware out there is designed to target Windows because it is the largest demographic. Mac OS is not immune to viruses, but given that most viruses are designed to target Windows it might seem that way to some.

I'll have to look up UNIX vs. Windows differences.

A quick follow-up question I have for you guys is what anti-malware - if any - can and/or should be downloaded onto an Apple product.

My mom (who is more computer illiterate than I am!), for example, got an iPad a few months ago and uses it for web browsing and occasional shopping. I was at her house last weekend and messed around with the iPad for fun (I use a regular PC) and noticed she didn't have malware protection programs. I thought I'd install Avast (free version) and realized that it doesn't exist for the iPAD. Then I saw people saying that you don't need anti-virus/malware programs for Apple products, because they are immune from malware.

So, not that I understand Apple can be infected, what steps should a person with like an iPAD take? Any anti-virus/malware programs for an Apple you can think of that would help?

Thanks very much - as always - everyone!!

I'll have to look up UNIX vs. Windows differences.

A quick follow-up question I have for you guys is what anti-malware - if any - can and/or should be downloaded onto an Apple product.

My mom (who is more computer illiterate than I am!), for example, got an iPad a few months ago and uses it for web browsing and occasional shopping. I was at her house last weekend and messed around with the iPad for fun (I use a regular PC) and noticed she didn't have malware protection programs. I thought I'd install Avast (free version) and realized that it doesn't exist for the iPAD. Then I saw people saying that you don't need anti-virus/malware programs for Apple products, because they are immune from malware.

So, not that I understand Apple can be infected, what steps should a person with like an iPAD take? Any anti-virus/malware programs for an Apple you can think of that would help?

Thanks very much - as always - everyone!!

Well the very notion that Apple products are immune to malware is untrue - but at the same time if used normally this is more or less true.

The Android and iOS app stores (Google Play/App Store) are filtered and regularly audited, so it's very unlikely anything downloaded from either app store will be malicious. In fact, I used an Apple product (iPhone 4) for about 4 years and never once found anything dodgy on the app store. My two or three Rooted android devices have also never let me see anything malicious (Tab 2, HTC Desire Z, Galaxy Alpha)

iOS is different from Mac OS in a few fundamental ways - what I said was in reference to Mac OS X (the desktop operating environment). Avast! make a version of their AV for Android, but I've no idea if they make an iOS one. To be honest I wouldn't worry about it - unless she's planning on Jailbreaking it it's very unlikely she'll get into any trouble with malware.

Back
Top Bottom