Is it really the same?

Status
Not open for further replies.
no, not easily, not for a rookie, and even a net install means at the minimum a mini cd or some floppies and knowing what your doing, a very minimal linux distro will fit on 1 or 2 floppies actually, but if you dont know linux commandline you will be lost before you even get started

yes you can format your computer first, or have the linux installer wipe everything out or do a dual boot, in which case windows MUST be installed first if your gonna use a bootloader not on a floppy

most distros are only 1 or 2 regular sized 700mb cd's and some have a DVD option so you can put it all on 1 disk

as far as installing goes, its much like windows, insert the disk, turn it on, let it boot, answer some questions, and let it install, then configure some things like ethernet,sound, video etc etc

windows and linux filesystems dont play nice together as a general rule, although linux can read NTFS and write to FAT32, so if you dual boot, accessing the other partition from either OS isnt likely or even a good idea sometimes, a second hard drive is really the best for a dual boot setup

xynthetik said:
Alright !! I would love to say thank you everyone for helping me out. This is a big change for me. Im looking to get into programming and coding... and Linux so thank you everyone so much. Thanks Jake for that link, it suggest me to get Kunbutu or Unbutu... does it matter?

Is there anything else anyone want to recomend to me regarding linux or any programming languages? Im new to both ! thanks again everyone ! =D

kubuntu uses the KDE desktop environment: http://www.kde.org

ubuntu uses gnome desktop environment : http://www.gnome.org

there's about 10 other GUI's that can be used as well, they range from very complete and windows like(gnome or kde) to very very minimal

some distros come with several, some like ubuntu come only with one, but others can be added with some work

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom