Is it possible?

Ð88

Fully Optimized
I want to get rid of the writing under the recycle bin.....where is says "recycle bin" lol. I have changed the icon to no icon so it appears to be invisible but the writing is still there so it isn't completely invisible. If I can get rid of the writing then I can make my desktop look perfectly clean without having to entirely remove the recycle bin. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks guys.

From what you said, it seems to me like you've managed to hide the text on all your other icons?

I don't think what you're suggesting is possible, though - have you tried anything like WindowBlinds? That might provide you with some kind of answer.

Try this:
Open up your favorite plain text editor (notepad, for example) and copy the following text into a new file:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{645FF040-5081-101B-9F08-00AA002F954E}\ShellFolder]
"Attributes"=hex:50,01,00,20
"CallForAttributes"=dword:00000000

Now save this text file as a .reg file, such as "Rename Recycle Bin.reg" and put it wherever you like. Double click on the file, and when it asks you if you want to import it into the registry, choose Yes. You'll notice a new option in the right-click menu to Rename the Recycle Bin. You can also rename it by highlighing the Bin and hitting F2, or by highlighting it and clicking on the file name (just like renaming any other file.

If you want to turn off this new feature, make another .reg file with the same content as above, but change the first number in the "Attributes"=hex: line from 50 to 40 and import that file into the registry.
:D

That didn't seem to work, I tried exactly what you said and I got this message after trying to import it into the registry:

"Cannot import (file name). The specified file is not a registry script. You can only import binary registry files from within the registry editor."

So that means I have to go into the registry editor and find the correct key to replace it with but I don't know where to go to find it or where I should add a new key.

john123 said:
so you dont want a recycle bin on your desktop?

i do, but i just want to make it so it's hidden in the corner. It will be there, jsut you wont be able to see it.

Personally, I find putting it in your taskbar and using TweakUI to remove the recycle bin from your desktop easier. But each to their own. :)

I think there was a code you could punch it for windows XP, im not so sure, i tried it on a dell and it worked, im not so sure what that code was, you can try googling it. It made the Recycle bin + letters invisible but if you know where you placed it you can still click on it

Or you can just right click and go to 'arrange icons by', then go to 'Lock Web Items on Desktop' and it'll hide all of your icons, and when you unlock it it'll show it again. It might be annoying to use if you constantly delete things, but it'll keep things clean.

Back
Top Bottom