Is it possible to use my current hard drive on my new build without wiping it?

s162217

Baseband Member
Hi,

I wrecked my Asus A7V8X-X motherboard last year when using a screwdriver to remove the stock Socket A heatsink ( but thats another story) and I have now got a much better Asus A7N8X-E Deluce motherboard as a replacement. Will I be able to just plug in the hard drive again with the new board and just use it without formating - or will there be issues as the new board uses an nforce2 chipset whilst the old one used a VIA one of some sort?

Give it a try, it might work. Windows worked for me when I switched my hard drive from a 750i SLI to the ASUS P5QL-Pro. You might have driver issues. I would backup all of your information just in case. Good luck!

Give it a try, it might work. Windows worked for me when I switched my hard drive from a 750i SLI to the ASUS P5QL-Pro. You might have driver issues. I would backup all of your information just in case. Good luck!
same with me. its just the luck of the draw. i went from a chaintech board with a k8 chipset to an asus with 570 sli without doing anything to my xp installation (except installing drivers of course).

Can't really back it up

I can't really back it up unfortunately as it is a 3.5 inch PATA/EIDE hard drive and since the rest of my family hasd decided to abandon desktops in favour of laptops, I have nothing I can plug it into.
If I do a Windows XP repair install, will this certainly leave all my files intact?

Re: Can't really back it up

I can't really back it up unfortunately as it is a 3.5 inch PATA/EIDE hard drive and since the rest of my family hasd decided to abandon desktops in favour of laptops, I have nothing I can plug it into.
If I do a Windows XP repair install, will this certainly leave all my files intact?
Yes, the repair install will leave all your files intact, you shouldn't lose anything.

Back
Top Bottom