Is it possible to use a separate psu to run a vid card??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ahh i dunno though. I'm not cheap lol but a hundred bucks is a hundred bucks. The two psu's i have now are perfect for all the components, but is the whole cable thing with a black and green cables just to make the psu think it's plugged into the computer?

I could just do the paperclip thing, lol, and electrical tape it and just friekin hot glue the psu to the bottom of my case. There's plenty of room for it.

Anyone wanna let me know exactly what you mean by the black/green thing? should i post up a pic and someone could point it out on paint or somethin. that would be sweet.

Thanks a ton everyone

On the 24-pin connector that connects to the mobo. There should be 1 green wire, and many black wires. Un-bend a paper-clip, and insert it into the green wire's pin slot, and then take the other end of the paper clip, and put it into any of the black wire's pin slot. Should be able to plug the computer into the wall, and turn it on now.

Just realized something..

If the main power shuts off for some reason and the mobo from my original psu has no more power, but the psu running the vid card is still on, will it somehow fry the vid card or something else in the system or will the vid card just not need power anymore?

Just dont wanna blow anything up LOL.

Thanks

If the main power shuts off for some reason and the mobo from my original psu has no more power, but the psu running the vid card is still on, will it somehow fry the vid card or something else in the system or will the vid card just not need power anymore?

Thanks

i really have no idea what it would do, i once used two different psu's to power a system, one for the gpu and one for the rest, it was only for a brief 25mins though, the only reason i did it was because i had to test to see if a friends computers problem was there video card, but they had a bad psu, that i wasn't sure if was the problem, so i swtiched between one powering the video card and the other powering the motherboard and other things, it didn't turn up to the psu being the problem though)

yes, spend the money on a good psu, i've been running my antec trio for a year now... and might i tell you, its been abused to the max... lets list how many parts its ran

2900xtx, 2 different q6600's, a q6700, 3 8800gtx's (2 were in sli), an 8800gt, 9800gx2, 8800gts g92, 3 hard drives, audigy, 2 different x-fi's, water pump... dual socket 1207 (amd fx70's), 2 other evga 680i's, a asus x38, gigabyte s3g, ecs nforce 4ma, and an fx62

man this thing has taken a beating.. i bought it when it was still aroune 140 new on newegg( i don't know how much it is new now)

and its still chugging along powering only a fan and a gtx280 inside of a dell

yess, the paperclip trick... connect green and black

most onload this thing has taken was a asus 680i, 2 8800gtx's, an x-fi xtreme music, 2 sata hdd's, 1 ide hdd, 1 sata dvd burner, 1 ide dvd burner.. and 4 case fans

long story short, don't cheap out on a psu

Thanks

I don't think anything will happen.

1. If the power goes out, I would expect both psu's to shut down.

2. You will probably realize that the mobo has no power, and then you can just unplug this other PSU. I mean, what damage can it do? People have put gpu's in DOA mobo's that don't work but you can hear the gpu fan spinning.

I think if you want to save up $100 over some time you can use this dual psu thing for a little bit, I've seen people do it. But you should start saving up for 1 good psu that will last you quite a long time.

^the wattage is not everything my friend, more like you need a high amperage on the rail(s) psu. Most importantly the amperage on the 12v rail.

The fact is, PSU's are not made to run that way. I'm no PSU expert, but I'd say you're bypassing a few safety features on it by using it that way. If you want to risk frying your components just to save a few bucks, then by all means... but, like everyone else has said, buy a quality PSU! It is not the place to save money.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom