Is it possible to turn on your computer....

Remeniz

Fully Optimized
.... just by applying the mains power to it?

Here's why I ask.

I have a small computer in the garage that I'd like to switch on by simply turning on the mains power to the garage. The power switch for the garage is in the living room. This way I don't have to enter the garage and press the power button to turn it on.

The motherboard doesn't have such a feature - if there is such a thing - and if this isn't possible then I have designed a small circuit that will do the trick.

Just want to know beforehand if its possible without additional modding.

Not sure of contolled power ons, but I had a overheated psu that would shut itseld down before frying, after 30 or so minutes I just unplugged and plugged the cord back in. Turned on without hitting the switch/button. In short, sounds possible.

In BIOS there is usually a setting on what to do after power loss, stay off and turn back on are usually two of the options. Try playing with those.

Does the motherboard have a wake-on-LAN option (sometimes referred to as PME)? If so, there are scripts out there that can turn the computer on by sending a signal over the network.

Thanks for the suggestions guys.

Does the motherboard have a wake-on-LAN option (sometimes referred to as PME)? If so, there are scripts out there that can turn the computer on by sending a signal over the network.

Thats what I was thinking of but i'ts networked via USB wireless receiver. I think thats only possible via the Ethernet port?

Yup, WoL will only work through an ethernet port, and it's not always supported. The only option I can think of is:
In BIOS there is usually a setting on what to do after power loss, stay off and turn back on are usually two of the options. Try playing with those.
...that one. There's often 3 settings as to what to do after recovering from power loss, off, last state and on (or words to that effect). If you switch it to on, then it *should* power on whenever you give it power - hopefully!

Failing that I think you'll have to just mod it :(

Back
Top Bottom