Is it possible to copy a dvdonto vhs through computer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

belveder

In Runtime
I was just wondering if it is possible to play a dvd on the computer and record onto a vhs recorder through the tv out on a video card?

If so, is there any special software needed?

Thanks in advance

It would work fine. Just plug the tv-out into the video input on your VCR, and connect the audio out on your comp to the audio input on the VCR. Then just hit play on the comp and Record on the VCR :)

I have been trying to reply to this post for and keep going round and round with the login screen, finally made it lol.

When I try to play anything though on my computer through my video recorder to record it, I can't quite get it working right. I get lot's of interference lines and I can't get the picture to cover more than 3/4 of the TV screen.

The highest resolution I can get for the tv in 800 x 600 true colour.

Can anyone help me out with this please?

Oh, I am running an Asus 7110 GeForce 2 mmx 400 video card, RCA video out to RCA video in on the video recorder which is in the next room.

Using the latest Asus drivers

Thanks in advance

You may have to get rid of the copy protection from the dvd using DVD Decrypter or something similar or it may not record right. I always rip the dvd and play it straight off my HD if I'm recording it.

Might have to do that instead. Although this is happening with anything from the computer to the TV, not just dvd's. Even just having my desktop on the TV

belveder said:
When I try to play anything though on my computer through my video recorder to record it, I can't quite get it working right. I get lot's of interference lines and I can't get the picture to cover more than 3/4 of the TV screen.

The highest resolution I can get for the tv in 800 x 600 true colour.

I believe that is because the Television can only handle that resolution as a maximum. the normal resolution for TV is lower than 640x480 i think. I have heard there is a way in the setup for your TV out on the vid card to have it automatically correct the resolution to fit the TV, however, i dont have any experience with this.

Hmm.. I dunno. With my GF4 ti4200, I can use 800x600 or 1024x768 with no problems at all.. no setup or anything. It just defaults to 1024x768 when I power on the PC. And I've used it with both S-Video and RCA.

Are you using the TV as your only display, or are you using your regular monitor as well? If you're using your monitor as well, try playing around with settings in the Nview control panel as I think there are some tv-out related settings in there. Also, I always make sure my PC is off before I plug the tv-out into the TV or else I get no display in Windows.

I've played around with the NView panel with no luck, mmm, maybe my card being a GeForce 2 might not be good enough for a higher resolution.

I was wondering, being that the TV is in the next room, that's a fair distance for the video out rca cord to travel, could that be the cause of the interference?

That's a possibility... if you can, try it with a shorter cable. Also, have you tried running the cable directly into the TV instead of through the VCR? That way you can rule out the VCR being the cause of the problem.

I wonder how many VHS tapes it would take to copy a complete stuffed DVD.. are they comperable in capacity?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom