Is anybody aware of any august 2009 pc parasite problems ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

-RockMan-

Banned
Everything on my second hdd 250gb got destroyed and I am servely unhappy right now.......
System mechanic 9 did a scan on my second hdd at 4:45pm yesterday it cleaned up some stuff and asked me to reboot my pc to keep a data log of what it found and fixed.
My vista c:drive had started to suffer badly because my 250gb hdd was malfunctining and little did I know my files got destroyed within about 20 minutes.
Luckily for me I had NOD32 3.2 DOS and it analyzed the hdd and found a parasite it said it was brand new but didn't have a denifition file to destroy it.
I took my xp disc and slowly formatted both hdd's and now there back and working fine.

My main question was there a parasite that had gotten released this august 2009 ?
This was almost as bad as my very first virus I got back in 2001 on febuary JD.S virus and ever since then I pursued a career as a computer technician and gotten it but I still have ****ing nightmares of that red screen of death at 6:45am that morning!

The Microsoft Security Response Center (MSRC)

Those are the updates released. But sadly, there is no major news of a virus release.

Actually you were wrong for once, eset, zonealarm and microloss reported a video malware exploit they say it had gotten released earlier this month.
I now know why my hard drive went pyschopath on me, I was recording some game footage on my second hdd, when I hit the stop button thats when everything went wrong.
This was after system mechanic 9 picked up some problems and asked me to reboot, leading to nod32 dos finding that new virus, I never knew a virus that strong would render vista or xp useless for about 45 minutes straight and eat up everything important to me, mind you that second hdd was also a backup of anything I lost just incase windows xp or vista crashed normally due to stupid crap.

You just got it before the report went through, Mike. That makes you a very lucky, or in this case unlucky, dude. ;)

Where are the links to show this?

the only article i have found is something that should have been patched at least 3 months ago.

The Microsoft Security Response Center (MSRC) : Microsoft Security Advisory 971778 Vulnerability in Microsoft DirectShow Released

There is the article from MAY. Which shows that this should have been done and patched. Which means that you did not install updates. So no it is not a major virus as this is something that should not have happened.

I have checked Eset, Zonealarm and still can not find anything from August about this.

Last Friday I had all of my updates installed I checked windows update and it said there were no new updates at the moment, nod32 did a scan saturday morning while I was at work and reported nothing.
So I did have my pc updated with no problems until I started recording some stuff off my USB tv tuner card.
Like I said when I hit stop button and closed down the program thats when my hdd went to ****...
I'm not gonna fight you on this one, because I don't need to go work at 7:00am tomorrow and be thinking about our conversation and what was said and get very angry unexpectedly.

I never said i was always right. I asked for some sources to read up on it. Get over it already. I am not trying to fight i am trying to get information to read up on it and make sure that the systems i work with are safe. Is that asking to much that you give me some info? My goodness...

Show me anywhere where i have always said i am right. You cant cause i have never said it. I simply stated that i have not found any information on it. Even looking at the sites you said had the information. Which is why i asked so i can read up on it.

Why do you think everything is a fight? I simply stated that i couldnt find any info. From Bing or Google. Checking various searches and terms.

First off i am not fighting. you started it right away. I made a simple statement that said that nothing was talked about at this time. Which is NOT WRONG. Cause there is no news of a major virus release the past couple of days.

Now follow this.

You are patched. Patches were released Aug 10th. You caught the infection via san on Aug 15th. Which cant be one of those cause they were patched! So it wouldnt be one of those. It would be something NEW that is not known at this time and is not talked about.

So either

A.) you got infected before you applied the patches and it was not detected cause you did not do a scan before the automated scan.
B.) this is something totally new that is not known at this time.

Now read what i first stated:

Those are the updates released. But sadly, there is no major news of a virus release.

How is that wrong? It wouldnt be wrong if it isnt talked about. I am not fighting. I am making observations. You want to go off saying that i am wrong just to say it. Fine i was wrong. But on which aspect?

Did you do a scan after your updates were applied? When was the last time you did a scan before the 15th? Are you sure you werent previously affected?

I made sure to check Google and Bing for any news on any virus info before posting. You just had to make it a point and say that i was wrong when in fact i never said anything about there not being flaws found. I said there was no news of anything recently.

I am sure that anyone that reads this thread will follow the same line of logic as i have. They will see that what i have said and asked is everything that would be said and asked if they were trying to troubleshoot this issue for anyone else.

You just want to make it seem like i am fighting. I am not. I am asking questions and trying to get info. there is nothing wrong with that at all. It is what has to be done to make sure that what is being said is correct for all who read it.

Right Mike, your acting like a arse you got infected with something it's either a rehash of a old one or something new **** it took them 4 weeks to define confiker and code red was the same. Besides most malware is not major at all most of it is writen by people who have little or no use for a LARGE infestation senario.

You asked if there was any news of a new virus threat and there wasn't any we pointed you to the MS security blog, there is no info there and I have poked my head into a few places just to make sure and there is nothing.

Thread closed as your acting like a idiot, drop the attitude it doesn't suit you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom