Is a 24" monitor to much?

darkserpant

In Runtime
I am thinking about getting a 24" monitor. Bigger is better right? Anyway It will sit at a normal desktop. So I will be right in front of it. Is this to close for a monitor of this size? I was hoping some of you guys had a 24" monitor that you sit in front of and could give me your opion. Thanks

Well, i currently have a 20" monitor and i sit directly in front of it. As it is i think it is overkill and often move my head around the screen to see it all. I imagine an extra 4" would be extreme if you sit right in front of it. That said, this would also put extra strain on your graphics card - unless of course you have a beasty one.

If you want a monitor that big, then as long as you will make use of it, it isn't too much. As for distance, my eyes are roughly 24" away from my monitors at work (I have a pair of 19" screens, which I personally would prefer to one large monitor) and I'm comfortable with that. At home, my eyes are only 12" from the monitor and I don't particularly like that. It's recommended that you sit at a reasonable distance from them otherwise you risk damaging your eyes.

How do I know if it will put a strain on my graphics card? The pc is brand new the graphics card is a NVIDIA GeForce 6150 SE. Would this graphics card do well?

I can't see it putting too much strain on the card, although it depends on what you're going to be using the computer for. Just make sure that the card supports the native resolution of the monitor that you want to buy.

Hmmm, makes me think twice about getting a 24" .. I mean, to be sitting in front of it does mean you'll have to look around quite a lot ^^ .. I'd say go for a 20" as with 22" you don't get anything additional, apart from another 2" .. no higher resolution. Plus, 20" is big enough I guess ... although I will be wanting a 4870X2 and I'm not sure if a 20" would unleash it's full potential enough. Tricky tricky...

Well i run at 1680x1050 native resolution using a 7600GT. No problems playing non-demanding games such as half life 2, ep 1 ep2, deathmatch and cs:s at max settings (without any Anti-Aliasing; doesnt like it for some reason) but dont know otherwise. Played Lord of the rings online at that resolution on high/very high with little to no problems also. I think it depends largely on what you are going to use the monitor/pc for.

I have a 24" and absolutely love it! Its perfect for me, not 2 big not 2 small, and you definitely don't move your head from side to side lol (unless u have it 2 inch away from ur face :) )

Hope the pic will give u a better understanding.

Cheers.

DSC06037.jpg

My computer monitor works as my T.V., got fancy wireless keyboard and mouse so I dont have to sit so close when I decide to jump on the computer haha. Works awesome for when I play Xbox360 and when I play on the computer. Got like a 22" Samsung LCD

Back
Top Bottom