iPhone screen replacement

crazyman143

Fully Optimized
This isn't a PC question, but it is hardware related. I figure at least one of you guys has attempted to replace an iPhone or android phone screen before.

I've done a few of them without any trouble, but a few days ago I replaced the screen on my wife's iphone 5S. Since then it's apparently developed an extreme ghosting problem. It looks like burn-in, almost. Elements of the screen that do not change frequently (status bar, keyboard, etc) are now permanently visible on the screen!

I assume it's just a faulty screen, but I've never experienced that before on a newer LCD screen. Has anyone else?

Also, I don't really know how to tell a good replacement from a bad one. Every ebay listing says "OEM" when obviously, their parts are not. Even before this problem arose, I felt like the colors looked washed out, faded. Just an all around inferior product. Looks like this one's going back and I'll have to find something else. Can anyone suggest a good place to order things like that?

Just interested in any input on the subject ;)

I have only ever done one screen replacement, well it was actually the digitizer rather than the screen. That is the capacitive (?) element that sits over the screen to give you the touch function. Anyway I was unable to line it up properly and that gave a similar effect. To be honest I never did get it right and eventually gave up vowing never to touch another phone screen replacement again.

I'd never replace the single item, too temperamental, easier to replace screen and digitizer at the same time...
On the old iphone 3G the LCD was actually just screwed to a metal frame that sat behind the digitizer, so it was really easy to replace them separately. Now that they are fused together, I can't fathom how people are able to replace them separately. I know that some people do it, though.

I had a galaxy note II that i drunkenly dropped off the porch and broke the screen. I considered this option also, but the only tutorial i found online used a heat gun to melt adhesive.
I didnt trust myself in fear i would mess something else up in the process after spending way too much money on a new screen.
Chalked it up to a loss and got a new phone instead. Scrapped the note II for a lil return cash.

Yes there are loads of tutorials on Youtube on how to do it and they all involve a heat gun. The black border around the screen is an adhesive. The tablet that I tried to repair was a Blackberry something or other and whilst I did get the digitizer off and put the new one on I got the ghosting effect and dead spots on the screen. There is a kit for the iPhone which again is talked about on Youtube but I wont be tackling another one that's for sure.

Back
Top Bottom