iPhone 5, the 2 things that kill it.

SouthParkFan1

Beta member
I've been an Apple fan for quite a while now. To make things short and sweet I think everything on the 5 is great, apart from two things that are a major part of any smartphone. The wifi is the first thing I want to talk about. The wifi is absolutely horrendous. For me my iPhone can only pick up around 3 or 4 signals maximum whilst my iPod touch 4 is getting 8-9 signals. The wifi, for some reason has these on and off interruptions, it gets disconnected without warning and that really grinds my gears because my connection is fibre optic, the fastest provided commercially in the United Kingdom with speeds of 160mbps download. The wifi needs to improve or I'm really in my right mind not to buy another iPhone again. Then there's the battery life. I'm a heavy iPhone user and despite adjusting my
settings, such as switching off push email and turning on autobrightness, I see my battery life go from 100-60% in 20 minutes with just watching video on wifi. I've never experienced that on the 4S, 4 or or even the 3GS. I even took out my SIM to see if it improved but the battery was the same. If anybody has any tips as to how I can eliminate my misery I'd appreciate in hopefully in the 5S things improve.

I've been an Apple fan for quite a while now. To make things short and sweet I think everything on the 5 is great, apart from two things that are a major part of any smartphone. The wifi is the first thing I want to talk about. The wifi is absolutely horrendous. For me my iPhone can only pick up around 3 or 4 signals maximum whilst my iPod touch 4 is getting 8-9 signals. The wifi, for some reason has these on and off interruptions, it gets disconnected without warning and that really grinds my gears because my connection is fibre optic, the fastest provided commercially in the United Kingdom with speeds of 160mbps download. The wifi needs to improve or I'm really in my right mind not to buy another iPhone again. Then there's the battery life. I'm a heavy iPhone user and despite adjusting my
settings, such as switching off push email and turning on autobrightness, I see my battery life go from 100-60% in 20 minutes with just watching video on wifi. I've never experienced that on the 4S, 4 or or even the 3GS. I even took out my SIM to see if it improved but the battery was the same. If anybody has any tips as to how I can eliminate my misery I'd appreciate in hopefully in the 5S things improve.

To the battery life issue I would make sure your firmware is upgraded as far as possible because I remember the 4 and 4S had battery life problems with a particular iOS version (I believe it was 6.1). Aside from that possibility, it is a battery and it will deplete as you use it. I'm going to assume you leave apps running in the background, so cancel anything that isn't necessary. My iPhone 4 can last me 2 days on a single charge even if I'm careless with battery life.

As for the iPhone 5 as a whole, Apple has really stepped on their dick with this one. I was not at all impressed with it. Any serious Apple user wouldn't argue that IMO.

I've always been an Apple man when it came to mobile devices but I would love to dragon punch whoever is in charge of Apple right now. I can't kick this feeling that if Jobs were still around they'd be doing much better.

Last edited:
It is definitely worth making sure that you are running the latest version of iOS (which is 6.1.4 I think right now on iPhone 5).

I'm on the latest firmware but I don't think firmware is the difference maker here. I did some more research and found that the top left or right hand corner, the corner detecting the signal for the phone has a major power usage issue. Apple has to fix this hardware issue.

Apple even said the iPhone 5 had a longer battery life than the other iPhones, lol. Riiighttt...

Have you tried resetting your network settings? This will erase any wifi network passwords you may have saved, but it could also correct any issue you might be having. You can do this in the General Settings area.

If you still see issues with battery life, I'd recommend resetting the whole phone back to factory spec, run any updates if they're available, and then reinstall your personal data from backup.

Battery life depends on many variables, signal strength, screen brightness, background apps (Facebook messenger is the worst), etc etc. Be aware of what apps you have installed, which apps are running in the background, notification settings, basically anything that uses the processor/memory/cell radio -- these all affect battery life.

Back
Top Bottom