IP address Question

No idea if this is in the right section, if it is not please accept my apologies and mods please move this.

If I wa searching for an IP address used by a company with about 20 employees could I locate that address to a/the company and/or to a particular computer?

Not really. You can do a whois lookup on that ip at whatismyip.com/ip-whois-lookup, but most likely you will only be able to see the name of their ISP, because that is who owns the ip address.

Any computers on that IP are probably behind a NAT router and have a private ip address, so you won't be able to pinpoint that IP to a specific single computer.

If you are trying to reach an employee at the company, you can send a mail to the contact address and ask that they respond, they might not though, I wouldn't. Why are you asking? What company is it? Who is the employee?

I might have misread. I'f you're trying to find the IP address of the company ie their domain name, then you can do a whois lookup based on the domain name and find their IP.

But like I said, their servers are behind NAT and firewalls so you aren't going to locate a specific machine. Why would you want to?

I might have misread. I'f you're trying to find the IP address of the company ie their domain name, then you can do a whois lookup based on the domain name and find their IP.

But like I said, their servers are behind NAT and firewalls so you aren't going to locate a specific machine. Why would you want to?

In truth it is SWIM who is scared the police will track his IP address to some naughty things he was doing.

He did it on his work computer and is scared the popo will track it down to his exact computer.

If they can't he breathes a bit easier.

He is UK based if that matters.

---------- Post added at 06:13 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:10 AM ----------

As an add on question :

if SWIM had a laptop, could I see what IP addresses this laptop has been on or using?

For example if the person who owned the laptop and moved around from wifi spot to wifi spot is there a list of IP addresses they would of used that can be found on the laptop?

If this person's work had any kind of logging mechanisms or firewalls setup then yeah they could trace activity back to a specific computer. And it's very easy to see which machine had what IP address assigned them via DHCP at a given time.

If the "popo" showed up and wanted this information then probably any organization would give it to them.

If this person's work had any kind of logging mechanisms or firewalls setup then yeah they could trace activity back to a specific computer. And it's very easy to see which machine had what IP address assigned them via DHCP at a given time.

If the "popo" showed up and wanted this information then probably any organization would give it to them.

Yeah, your 'friend' is screwed. Why use a work computer for anything but work is what I can't figure out.

Back
Top Bottom