Interview with AMD: Model Numbers, DDR2 and More

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trotter

Grandfather of Techist, ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff member
Caught this following a link off of DailyRotation.

It's a one page read. Fills in some details about the future of the 64's, an upcoming dual-core FX, the swith to DDR2, and a hint of a mobile processor migrating to desktops.

http://www.pcper.com/article.php?aid=147

AMD's response was that the performance and feature advantages that AMD has are already known to those users that are interested or understand those points.
That was the first point that caught my eye, and it makes perfect sense and I'm sure all of us had already figured out. AMD hasn't bothered to whore their name out because those who are true AMD "fanboys" don't need or want that sort of attention. I love being able to say to an Intel user my 2.6GHz AMD runs circles around your 5GHz Intel, and they can just scratch their head and wonder why.

In the not to distant future we might see the reverse in that a mobile processor would be tweaked and changed enough to be called a desktop processor.
This is another intriguing and excitable point that caught my eye. I'm actually glad that AMD is focusing on putting the horsepower behind a processor that is not going to give out excess heat or consume ridiculous power. That keeps the consumer cost down and leads way to the continued impressive overclocking AMD now offers.

Check the point where they think dual core game development may come sooner than previously thought.............

I did indeed see that point, but I honestly don't really think that games will be optimized for multithreaded processors until Longhorn at the very least, as dual core processors need time to ease into the market and decrease in price.

As far as The FX series goes, the FX-57 has already been planned as a single core processor, and I doubt we'll see another FX processors until socket M2 at the very earliest, which will be 2006. Anyways, they've already said the Athlon series will migrate to the X2s, but the FXs will still be the powerful single core gaming processors for a while.

Plans can change, especially if the public and their money demand it...

not only that, but its mid 2005 NOW, 2006 isnt far away.............and first 64 bit game has already been released a week or two ago I believe

I know alot of you guys want to think your wintendo's are future proof for a year or two, isnt likely, hasnt been the case for about 10yrs, why would that happen now?It just isnt likely, unless of course your perfectly happy with the games you have now, but that takes all the fun out of it huh?

It's not particularily the public and their hard earned paycheques dictating the multithreaded evolution, it's specifically software writers and when and how they plan to effectively utilize dual core processors.

AMD multicore desktop platforms haven't even been officially released yet, let alone stocked and availible to be sold. The FX-55 is well over half a year old now and still getting older, and the FX-57 still isn't out yet. Doubt we'll see another FX processor until 2006 at the earliest is all I'm trying to say.

And if you look at the trends, Athlon 64s have been going steady for a good two years now, yet there is still no widespread 64 bit programs availible, infact, there are practically none.

Of course I'd like more than anything for games to make the jump to multiple threads so I can see the graphical and interactual improvements, but I don't think it'll happen for a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom