internet taxes coming

Status
Not open for further replies.

tastegw

Inspired by Art
i got this email from ebay today, as im sure alot of you have also

Tell Congress, "No New Net Taxes"

Internet Sales Taxes--Your costs go up. Your buyers' costs go up. You are required to comply with the same tax laws as the nation's largest retailers. This scenario could soon become reality.

The sales tax laws governing today's Internet and catalog retailers are simple: If you sell something to a person living in your state, you collect sales tax. If that customer doesn't live in your state, you don't collect the tax. However, a number of state governments and the biggest retail giants in America are planning an aggressive lobbying campaign to change the law. They want to require small retailers to operate like the biggest retail chains, collecting taxes everywhere.

We all know times are tough and state governments are looking for more tax money. Likewise, big retailers see an opportunity to gain a competitive edge by imposing new costs and higher prices on their smallest competitors. Luckily, the tax ground-rules can't be changed without congressional action. There's still time to stand up and be counted. If you think adding a new tax burden on small Internet retailers is a bad idea, now is the time to make your voice heard. Click here to send a letter to your U.S. Representative and Senators today.

It won't be easy. But together, Internet retailers like you can stop these new taxes.

Sincerely,

Tod Cohen
VP and Deputy General Counsel, Government Relations

It has been talked about before, but I don't see how it can honestly be enforced in the long run. This is kind of like I am thinking it's new york that is wanting to put a sales tax on ALL downloaded media on the internet... It just wont happen.... Kinda like the car mileage tax, they have said recently they won't bother with that.

that car milage tax would be a joke

since the middle of jan.

it seems this new group in charge wants to tax anything and everything, and its worse on a state by state basis.

new york and cali being the worst.

oregon slapped a 1900% tax yes 1900, not 19 but 1900% tax on each barrel of alcohal or soemthing like that.

here in cali, they want to start charging you $10 extra if you file your taxes by using paper.

pretty soon, they are gonna come up with the idea, "hey, lets tax the taxes" so we would pay a tax on the taxes we pay.

it will never end unless we the people stand up and fight,.....but how?

It has been talked about before, but I don't see how it can honestly be enforced in the long run. This is kind of like I am thinking it's new york that is wanting to put a sales tax on ALL downloaded media on the internet... It just wont happen.... Kinda like the car mileage tax, they have said recently they won't bother with that.
Dont remind me. I live in NY and have to hear this junk all the time.:rolleyes:

You already pay taxes on the money you earn... federal if not state taxes, too. You then pay taxes on anything you buy with the money you have already paid taxes on. if you buy durable goods, like a house or a car, you pay taxes on it every year (property tax, tag renewal/wheel tax).

Ain't it just swell? [/sarcasm]

You just move down to Australia where we have the great fire wall of china.

IMO it is the states that are starting the whole thing with taxes, wanna know what is sad? Kentucky only state allowed to produce Bourbons(spelling?) just had a HUGE hike in permit costs and taxes on there liquor, well when it is sold to another state that state has to pay KY sales tax, then they add there own tax on top of it... So expect Makers Mark and the such to go up by $20 a 5th... Because it went up 18ish in kentucky...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom