Internet Speeds

The reason for this thread is that I'm not satisfied with my download speed and especially my upload speed. After seeing a couple posts with the "poster's" speed (higher than 5000kbps for download and higher than 500kbps for upload) I felt like mine could do better.

Here's whats showing up for the "server" suggest by Speedtest.net
Speedtest.png

Is this a problem with my provider or do I just need to upgrade to something else?

Thanks in advance.

What advertised speed are you subscribed to?

Good question. We got it such a long time ago (about 5 years) and I have never really argued it until I started learning more about computers. If you give me a little time I'll check it and post it here.

edit-here it is:
cox.png

Now even though I'm not sure which one I have, 2500kbps is far below either of them.

Read the fine print, the internet connections are "up to", meaning they may or may not reach that speed.

You likely have an over saturated cable and nothing will improve your speeds, but it could also be the quality of wiring in your house, or your modem, or even possibly the router.

Read the fine print, the internet connections are "up to", meaning they may or may not reach that speed.

You likely have an over saturated cable and nothing will improve your speeds, but it could also be the quality of wiring in your house, or your modem, or even possibly the router.

What if I just switch providers? The would use different cables no? Wouldn't that be better for me?

What if I just switch providers? The would use different cables no? Wouldn't that be better for me?

All cable providers are using the same physical copper cable. I'd check out your modem and internal house wiring first, two very common causes of low speed

All cable providers are using the same physical copper cable. I'd check out your modem and internal house wiring first, two very common causes of low speed

Ok. But what exactly do you mean by that? Calling an "expert" to look at it or what?

I should really try to learn more about networking and internet stuff.

Ok. But what exactly do you mean by that? Calling an "expert" to look at it or what?

I should really try to learn more about networking and internet stuff.

Try out your cable modem at the point of entry to the house (Unless your cable is ran on the exterior of the house, than do it their). Disconnect any amplifiers and splitters.

Try out your cable modem at the point of entry to the house (Unless your cable is ran on the exterior of the house, than do it their). Disconnect any amplifiers and splitters.

Oh ok. I will try that tomorrow as I need to study for a test. I don't have any amplifiers nor splittlers. I'll hook my computer up directly to the phone adapter I have (for international calls) and see if that makes a difference. Then I will plug it in directly to the modem. And then do at the point of entry like you said. If nothing changes then, well, then I'll post again lol.

Back
Top Bottom