Internet speed

bluenose1940

In Runtime
Recently I have been experiencing hiccups with losing connections to various internet sites along with the slowness of actually making those connections in the first place. I am using Windows 10 and my router is in the lounge and my pc is in my study. I use a cable from my pc which is plugged into a little unit that is plugged into the house ring main. I've forgotten what they are called. The corresponding unit in the lounge is connected to the router and is also plugged into the ring main. Not sure if this system is better than wireless or not.

I have just carried out a speed check on my pc but the figures don't mean much to me I'm afraid. Are the following figures pretty average or are they below average. The figures are stated as they were shown.

Ping 52ms
Download Speed 2.72 mbps
Upload Speed 0.88 mbps.

Many thanks for any thoughts. Depending on any replies as to whether I give Sky a call, or not.

Your connection over the powerline adapters could be the culprit. Ensure that they plug directly into the wall outlet and not in to any power strips or extension cords. If you can run ethernet cable or use wifi temporarily to remove the powerline adapters from the equation for testing that would be ideal.

Your connection over the powerline adapters could be the culprit. Ensure that they plug directly into the wall outlet and not in to any power strips or extension cords. If you can run ethernet cable or use wifi temporarily to remove the powerline adapters from the equation for testing that would be ideal.

hiya crazyman143, yes the adapters are plugged directly into the sockets, no extensions or powerstrips.

I have just remembered that I let my son borrow my 10 metre ethernet cable, I will get hold of that and will see if it improves things.

From your comments it would seem that you are not impressed with the speed figures that I have quoted.

Your speeds are pretty slow in my opinion. I would hope to see at least ~4 mbps down, 2 mbps up for a decent DSL service but they vary greatly by service provider. You should be able to find out from your ISP what speeds you are supposed to be getting and then you can see if your tests are close to that.

Thank you folks, I will call Sky and I will also try to install the ethernet cable, I will have to try to drill a discreet hole through the dividing wall. I should be able to do it without it being seen.
Thanks for the input.

Make sure that they aren't throttling your speeds and that you are getting what you've been promised and are paying for.

Also keep in mind that the more live connections, the slower DSL goes.
I shared a connection with a friend and he would get on Yahoo video chat. That would just kill my connection. I finally got in to it with him about it and cut him off. With just me on the line it worked great.

I found out over the years that any sort of repeater will slow down your connection. A cable straight to the router works best.

Back
Top Bottom