Internet speed - PLEASE HELP!!!

jackdarlow

Beta member
Hello everyone, so Virgin came to install their 152mbps internet in our house and there seems to be a problem somewhere a long the line. My brother has a really good computer and he's getting around 120mb download and 9mb upload. I'm however getting 15-25mb download and 12mb upload. We're both connected to the router with ethernet cables, I've tried swapping them around and seeing if there's any frayed wires etc but they seem to be fine.
Speedtest.net by Ookla - My Results
Speedtest.net by Ookla - My Results
These are my speed tests with different cables.

Why is his internet so much faster than mine, I'm using a laptop but it's a decent one. I've scanned it completely and nothing was found, is it just because I'm using a laptop that my net is 5x worse?
My laptop is a Toshiba Satellite L750-170
Thanks.

That laptop only has a 10/100 ethernet card, so realistically you'd expect a maximum of about 90Mbps I'd have thought. So it will be slower than your brothers PC which looks like it has 10/100/1000, but it should definitely be faster than how it's performing now...

Do you have any virtual private network software open? Something like LogMeIn Hamachi etc would certainly slow the PC down. Try disabling any third party firewalls etc (don't disable the Windows one), and see if that makes a difference.

If the laptop has a wireless switch, turn it off, you might find it's trying to connect wirelessly too (if you have wifi in your house)

Back
Top Bottom