Internet speed dependant upon computer specs? (newbie)

JBrehm

Baseband Member
Hi all, I'm no computer whiz or anything, compared to the rest of you I don't know jack. But, I do know some and what I do know needs some assistance. My question is; is processor speed or memory or processor type a factor in how fast broadband internet is? My reason for asking is, I have an HP Pavillion a400n, Intel Celeron Processor, 2.7 GHz, 256 MB of DDR SDRAM memory, 80 GB hard drive (7200 RPM Ultra DMA hard drive) (anything else you would need to know I can tell you) and Internet on this thing is slow, especially for broadband, DLs aren't slow, but everything else is. I'm looking into buying a new computer to replace this one and I want to know if having a more powerful processor, or more powerful something would make the connection faster? As you all can tell I'm sure, I don't really know much so any help you all can give me would be greatly appreciated. Oh, forgot, two more quick q's... one is, I heard that CRT monitors are better than LCD Flat screens because of the response speed, is this true? and also the computers I want to buy are an HP Pavilion a640n Minitower, and an HP Pavilion m1160n Photosmart Minitower, which would be a better overall computer?

Internet can be slow for software reasons, not just hardware reasons. Are you sure your computer is free of spyware/viruses/adware? That would be a major factor for slowing down the computer. And, a CPU is indeed the main "brain" for the computer, but what is the chokepoint for all incoming data for the tcp/ip port? Your network card. Make sure it's up to date, and you have the latest drivers for it.

And, unfortunately, never dealt with HP comps, so can't give you any feedback on that.

Thanks, that did help a little, the parts I understood. How do I get rid of adware and all the stuff you mentioned? I'd prefer not to have to pay for something to get rid of it, but I will if need be.

No, don't even think about paying anyone/anything to get rid of spyware. Ask some people around, I'm not that good with programs that get rid of spyware, but a lot of people around here are.

Nooooooooo dont pay a penny
use Adaware or Spybot search and destroy to get rid of spyware

Id use adaware i like the new version it has live update and the interference is good

Yeah, Ad-Aware's the ebst, The other programs that Mr.Mixx are good too, That should kill any spyware on your computer :)

Sometimes it dosent in which case i use Hijack this however you have to be confident and understand basic computer shit b4 using it as it could proberly kill the computer

Back
Top Bottom