Internet/Modem problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

BishopUser

Beta member
This problem used to happen maybe once a week, but now on some days it happends every 30 minutes, but on average it will happen once every 3-4 hours.

I'll just be surfing web or whatever when I get a huge lag spike and all the lights on my cable modem will go off. A second later the Power light becomes solid and the Receive light will blink on and off. Five seconds after that the receive light becomes solid and the Send light starts to blink, then five seconds after that the Send light becomes solid and the Online light will blink then it will become solid and activity starts to blink. For my internet to work though I usually have to shut down my computer, shut off the power to it, wait 10 seconds, then restart. After the restart my internet is fine until it happends again.

My internet has been unusable for the last 4 hours and it is starting to get pretty annoying. Someone suggested that the power to it might be messed up, but I tried running an extension cord from the opposite end of the room to the modem but it didn't help. I don't think it is something with the computer either because I can unplug the USB from the computer and the modem lights will still display its signature blinking that I described above.

When the internet goes down it will also have this popup http://files.mrfixitonline.com/u/38380/eject.jpg . If I leave the computer on all night I can see as many as 20 to 30 of those popped up on my screen in the morning from it continually connecting and disconecting.

My cable modem is Motorola SB4200 SURFboard Cable Modem, I use USB to connect modem to computer, and my ISP is Adelphia.

Thanks for the help in advance!

Try this:

Go into your Start menu, click the Run... button. Type in cmd in the text box. A command prompt will open, and then type the following in the text boxt box:

ipconfig /release
ipconfig /renew

it sounds like a usb issue, especially if the computer thinks its been removed incorrectly. You may have a bad usb hub. Try putting the modem into a different usb port (remove something else if needed) The modem itself could be at fault too you may want to contact the place you bought it from and see if they can suggest anything.

I took out the USB plug and put it into a slot in the front of my case and it seems to be working fine. Hasn't disconected once in the last 24 hours. Thanks to both of you for your suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom