internet "hog"

XWrench3

Daemon Poster
as some of you know, my son is a "gamer". i would not go as far as to call him gifted, but he is pretty good. so as a result, he is on the internet almost all of the time. and so are the rest of us, though we do not use but a sliver of the data he does. most of the time, its not an issue. browsing the web is not a super hi speed affair. but, when he downloads a game, it all but locks the rest of us out of the internet. is there a way to limit the amount of bandwidth he can use? all internet gets routed thru our wifi box, even the hard wired computers (2). i would not want to slow him down to a crawl, but i would like to reserve say 30% of the bandwidth for the rest of us. our router is a D-Link DIR-655. i looked thru the manual, i can see where i can set limits to the type of websites, and allow or deny internet access, but i do not see anything about limiting data. if its in there, what would it be called???

Check your router to see if you have QoS settings in the firmware. Most you can restrict by MAC address or IP; MAC address would ensure that he doesn't just lease himself a new local IP and get around the bandwidth restrictions.

He's a PC gamer.
that IS correct. still, i will go in and have a "look see" .
[QUOTEHe's a PC gamer.][/QUOTE]
i am going to need a pot of coffee, an hour & 1/2, and my 32" monitor to read and comprehend this!

Back
Top Bottom