Internet going real slow specificaitons listed

Milt2016

Baseband Member
I checked the Windows OS wireless connection (I am using wireless) I have 54Mbps of bandwidth, which usually I never have a problem with. I believe I am on a Class A network because my IP address starts with a 10.0 with a subnet mask of 255.255.255 I believe. Also I do not have any viruses on my computer I do keep my computer up to date, I am almost certain that no one is hacking my network (I just moved in a new place yesturday using someone elses Internet) I am using Comtast and I have 5 bars on my signal strength, I am looking for suggestions on what to check for slow network connectivity. It goes really slow when I'm watching video it lags and times out where I am not able to watch it, it looks like it's a delay in a packet as well, I will try running ping when I get home; however, I do not have any software I can run to see the issue on it and I do not have quick enough speed to download anything on the Internet. My question is, really, why is the Network connection going so slow if I have 54 Mbps I know througput and latency matters as well with download speed and upload speed ( which I will be lucky if I can monitor without it taking 30 minutes to load the site) but if it's a 54Mbps then shouldn't it at least be able to load a simple site. It's only three people using this connection.

I checked the Windows OS wireless connection (I am using wireless) I have 54Mbps of bandwidth, which usually I never have a problem with. I believe I am on a Class A network because my IP address starts with a 10.0 with a subnet mask of 255.255.255 I believe. Also I do not have any viruses on my computer I do keep my computer up to date, I am almost certain that no one is hacking my network (I just moved in a new place yesturday using someone elses Internet) I am using Comtast and I have 5 bars on my signal strength, I am looking for suggestions on what to check for slow network connectivity. It goes really slow when I'm watching video it lags and times out where I am not able to watch it, it looks like it's a delay in a packet as well, I will try running ping when I get home; however, I do not have any software I can run to see the issue on it and I do not have quick enough speed to download anything on the Internet. My question is, really, why is the Network connection going so slow if I have 54 Mbps I know througput and latency matters as well with download speed and upload speed ( which I will be lucky if I can monitor without it taking 30 minutes to load the site) but if it's a 54Mbps then shouldn't it at least be able to load a simple site. It's only three people using this connection.

When you say '54Mbps' I assume you're referring to your wireless bandwidth speed? That just refers to the theoretical max it can attain.

What service tier are you paying for through Comcast (both Upload/Download)?
What speeds are you actually getting? You can test your connection by going to Speedtest.net and letting it run its tests. Please run it and post the results you receive back.

Are you getting slow downs ALL the time, or are you only getting slow speeds at specific times of the day (i.e. in the evenings)? If it's the latter...then it's probably a lot of people around you streaming / using high-bandwidth services, and thus either Comcast is throttling the traffic, or there is just too much traffic in your area.

I'm going to get back with you with the download speed ASAP. It seems to be going slow right now but to answer your other questions.

I just moved into a new place yesterday, I am staying with a roomate and it's three people on our Internet Connection...anyways last night was my first time using this connection. Around 9-11 I started streaming a live video that asked me for my service provider through the Internet, I was streaming this video through my Wi-Fi connection but I used another persons Login for the cable provider whom was nice enough to give me it. During this time frame ( I am usually able to watch this with no problem) I experienced lag and it would not receive enough packets every 15 to 20 minutes and the video would go blank and I'd have to refresh the page. However, everything else was working fine. Then this previous morning 9-11 I was experiencing unbelievable slow times, which I believe goes back to what you said that it may be to many people using it. I read an article that said Comcast for people in the city can be a pretty slow connection if many people are using it and I am using it. The router is also very small and seems cheap.

The bandwith I'm referring to is the,"Local Area Connection Status" for Windows OS. It shows 54 Mbps that changes but stays at a steady 54 Mbps so is that just showing how much bits my WAP can receive? Not the actually Internet connection. That must explain why when it's hardwired it stays at a 1Gbps? I am not very savy with networking, as I am still learning.

I'm going to get back with you with the download speed ASAP. It seems to be going slow right now but to answer your other questions.

I just moved into a new place yesterday, I am staying with a roomate and it's three people on our Internet Connection...anyways last night was my first time using this connection. Around 9-11 I started streaming a live video that asked me for my service provider through the Internet, I was streaming this video through my Wi-Fi connection but I used another persons Login for the cable provider whom was nice enough to give me it. During this time frame ( I am usually able to watch this with no problem) I experienced lag and it would not receive enough packets every 15 to 20 minutes and the video would go blank and I'd have to refresh the page. However, everything else was working fine. Then this previous morning 9-11 I was experiencing unbelievable slow times, which I believe goes back to what you said that it may be to many people using it. I read an article that said Comcast for people in the city can be a pretty slow connection if many people are using it and I am using it. The router is also very small and seems cheap.
Definitely sounds like congested network - not really much you can do about that if it is indeed the case, besides not doing a lot of heavy use during the peak times in the evenings.

The bandwith I'm referring to is the,"Local Area Connection Status" for Windows OS. It shows 54 Mbps that changes but stays at a steady 54 Mbps so is that just showing how much bits my WAP can receive? Not the actually Internet connection. That must explain why when it's hardwired it stays at a 1Gbps? I am not very savy with networking, as I am still learning.

Correct - that's theoretical / maximum bandwidth available; usually LAN speed (internal network).

1> Check the router DHCP logs to see if any one else is on your router besides you and your room mates.
2> Change the master router password to something you and your room mates can remember.
3> Change the security level to an encrypted level and invoke a password.
4> Look at the wireless output types.
G is just going to handle 54mbps
N is going to handle 150 to 300.
5Ghz is going to go much faster if your router has 5Ghz. On mine it goes 450mbps.

On your end if your wireless can only go 54mbps then that's all you're going to get. Check the router capabilities to see what's under the hood. If it has 1Gbps LAN then it's fairly modern and should have a feature rich wireless setup. On your end you may want to get a faster wireless card or dongle. If it has 5Ghz capabilities, the get a 5Ghz capable card or dongle. Not too many people use 5Ghz so the band is fairly quiet. And normal interference on 2.4 doesn't bother 5Ghz.

Just ran speedtest my download speed is only 5 Mbps, upload speed 2.36 Mbps, and ping 29 ms. Also, I do not know if this will help but I just tried pinging to my default gateway (router) and it was a 75% packet lost 3/4 of the packets were lost, which is confusing because it has 5 bars, also the Mbps are constantly changing. When I troubleshooting using windows it gave me a DNS error in the morning today, and today it gives me a network card error and my network card is up to date and hasn't gave me any problems since I connected to any other network besides this one, it switches up errors on the regular when I use windows to troubleshoot.

Last edited:
Have you tried going directly hardwired to see if you still have slow issues? Do the other people using the internet that you live with have the same issues?

Also, try testing the speed at different times of the day (or even night) if possible. Also test it on different computers (or even your phone while connected to wifi) to see if it's just your system, or if it's something else with your network.

What brand/model is your computer? Specifically what brand/model is your wireless card?
Open up Device Manager -> Expand Network adapters -> look for your wifi card and post the brand/model that is displayed for it in the list.

I have a Linksys Wireless G PCI Adapter. I notice this is intermittent, usually when I get home it goes real slow on my computer ( assuming someone else is using it) but at certain times the speed is normal. My iphone however never has this problem, it goes at the same speed so far and I have an iphone phone I believe the specification standard for that is 802.11b/g/n Wi-Fi (802.11n 2.4GHz only). & I think my wireless NIC on my computer is 802.11g.

Did you test your computer and iPhone at the same time, and the iPhone didn't get slowdowns but your computer did?

If so...I'd say replace the wireless adapter on your computer.

I figure that, I'll try that first, thanks. I think because this router and internet connection is slower and 3 other people are using it mines get the least bandwidth because it's a lower standard wireless card. At the other place the Internet was faster so I think my NIC got more speed because we had higher speed internet.

Back
Top Bottom