Internet Explorer

john3650

Solid State Member
Hi
My name is John, and I am new to this forum, hoping for some help.

I recently upgraded to Windows 10, and was using IE11. However after a couple of days all my favourites disappeared from the favourites button, although they are still in the 'star'. Non of the favourite options work, and where the favourites should be there is a greyed out 'empty'.

I have done an IE reset, system restore to before the problem, and disabled and re enabled IE through the control panel, but still the button doesn't work.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks for reading this.

Firefox for me, still a memory hog but to a lesser extent :p

The whole migration thing from 7/8.1 to 10 has been pretty bad for a lot of people. Lost data, lost settings, etc. Windows 10 they've rebadged IE11 as 'Microsoft Edge'...

fuaz2ZZ.jpg

Have you checked in your favorites folder (C:\Users\USERNAME\Favorites) to see if they are actually still there? IF they are, I think you should be able to manually add them back to Edge, I think...

IE11 has not been rebadged as Edge, that is a separate (horrible) browser. IE11 can be activated as default browser in W10, but as it is built in, it cannot be uninstalled and reinstalled.

All my favourites are available in IE via the right hand 'star' but not in the favourites button where I had them.

In internet explorer, if you select "organize favorites" under the favorites menu, can you see them there?

Yes, but any changes only take place in the section under the 'star'. Adding etc will not put anything under the favourites button.

So if you can see them under Organize, are they in the root, or in a subfolder in there? If so try moving them out of the subfolder via drag and drop in the organize favorites window.

So if you can see them under Organize, are they in the root, or in a subfolder in there? If so try moving them out of the subfolder via drag and drop in the organize favorites window.

Thank you for your reply.

If I click Favourites button all options are there, but under Organise, where favourites should be it is a greyed out '(empty)'

If I click Organise, then all the folders with favourites in are there. I am not sure what you mean by dragging them somewhere. I can still drag them to another position in the organise section, but that doesn't put them back where the whole thing should be.

Did you look here as suggested?

Have you checked in your favorites folder (C:\Users\USERNAME\Favorites) to see if they are actually still there?

If you can see the favorites there, I suggest you make a backup copy of them, delete all from the favorites folder. Then in internet explorer, do a full settings reset:

Click the white gear, select "internet options"
Click Advanced tab, then "Reset..."
Check "Delete personal settings" then "Reset"

Restart internet explorer, then copy your favorites backup back in.

If that doesn't work, you might have to reinstall IE 11 as well.

Back
Top Bottom