Internet Explorer displays a blank page

lemmin

Solid State Member
After reinstalling windows, Internet Explorer will display certain webpages completely blank with a "Done" status in the status bar. An example of a website that does this is the search on wikipedia.org. It seems to be php pages that arent working, but there are some I have found that do work. If I run windows in safe mode the page is displayed fine.

I looked through all the Microsoft Support pages about issues similar to this and went through the processes for fixing them, but it didn't fix it.

It seems to me I have some kind of IE component that is missing registry values, but I don't know how to find what it is.

I can use Google Language Tools to display a page that otherwise just displays white with Done status.

I am actually recieving packets even when the page doesn't display.

Any ideas?

Does the page load and it say done or does it not load and still say done? Because on my old computer it said Done all the time in IE but the page still loaded properly.

Try Mozilla Firefox -- www.getfirefox.com I recommend it, or Opera or some other browser.

I don't understand what you are asking, Jordon. The status bar changes from "Downloading from site: 'site name'" to "Done", but the page stays white. I did a small test and found that IE is recieving the packets from the site as it claims, but doesn't display anything after getting those packets.

Thanks for the suggestion, Kchi55, but I would rather not just get a new program when one has a bug (especially when the bug was caused by something I did).

I found some info on Microsoft's Knowledge base about my problem, but it isn't the same symptoms and the solutions, which include registering some libraries, didn't help.

Thanks for responding, anyone else have ideas?

Something wierd about it I just noticed: Some sites, Wikipedia.org being the one I just noticed, will sometimes work fine, but at a different time will show up blank. I tryed to load it earlier and kept pressing refresh, but nothing would happen. Then, maybe 20 seconds later I refreshed it again and it worked. This doesn't work for any other web page that I've found, but this one. I am totally stumped as to what could cause that.

Most likely the registery is messed up. Does anyone know of a way I can reinstall IE? using "Add/Remove windows components" only removes the links.

There are lots of problems with Internet Explorer, but this doesn't sound too out of the ordinary. Try closing the browser and reopening it. You might just be better off using Firefox, because it offers greater stability and functionability compared to IE. Also, most likely it will fix your problem.

I'm sure Firefox would work, but downloading Firefox will not fix my IE problem.

It isn't the site because the problem exists in other pages and in Safe Mode those pages work fine.

I've now tried many different ways of reinstalling IE, only a few seem to work at all, but I was able to get a whole second installation of IE on my comp and that one has the same issue. Because of this, I can conclude that there is nothing wrong with the IE files. The only other things I could think of are corrupt shared files (though I would assume a fresh install would overwrite them) or something messed up in the registry. To see if there are any system files missing I ran Windows System File Checker and it replaced an enourmous amount of files, but none had any affect on IE, apparently. So the only thing left I would think it could possibly be is something screwey in the registry, but I don't have any idea where to start. My thinking is that there is some plugin type object IE uses to compile certain scripts at run-time. Does anyone know if there is a place to download updates to these kind of virtual machines? Because every type of file extension works, but some php pages don't, I would think maybe there is an activeX control being loaded that my computer can't find, but it doesn't return an error. The fact that everything works fine in Safe Mode pretty much cancels out all my ideas though.

Is there anyway to find out what kind of stuff IE is loading into it, or what stuff is stopped from being loaded by Safe Mode?

lemmin said:
I don't understand what you are asking, Jordon. The status bar changes from "Downloading from site: 'site name'" to "Done", but the page stays white. I did a small test and found that IE is recieving the packets from the site as it claims, but doesn't display anything after getting those packets.

Thanks for the suggestion, Kchi55, but I would rather not just get a new program when one has a bug (especially when the bug was caused by something I did).

I found some info on Microsoft's Knowledge base about my problem, but it isn't the same symptoms and the solutions, which include registering some libraries, didn't help.

Thanks for responding, anyone else have ideas?
Everyone spells my name wrong, lol, its JordAn, with an a :)

Yeah, you basically answered my question in that post.

I'm sure Firefox would work, but downloading Firefox will not fix my IE problem.
If you downloaded Mozilla Firefox, you wouldn't need Internet Explorer, lol :)

Yes, but my question is not "What program can I use instead of IE." :p

I'd like to fix it. :)

Thanks for the reply.

Back
Top Bottom