Internet disconnects randomly

ezio313

Solid State Member
This is a complicated issue
Hi, I live in Lebanon. Have adsl connection. In the last year, internet started disconnecting randomly, the internet light on my modem would go off, also ping will spike mid games. I had to restart it each time, this would solve the problem. I contacted my isp, they sent a team and found nothing wrong with the line. So they told me that the problem is on my behalf.
  • 1st replaced my old Linksys with tp-link TD-W8961N, the good thing is that tplink would restart on its own, and will take 2 min instead of 5.
  • 2nd I replaced the filter, internal line (going from modem to filter). But the problem persisted.
The only thing left to replace was the line going from the telephone junction box to my apartment, The ISP told me its the reason for the disconnections since whenever I touched it a static noise would be heard through the landline. I hesitated since it costs a lot and it shouldn't get damaged since its an external line going through the building towards my apartment and into the other end of the filter.

• finally replaced the external line, the static noise is gone but unfortunately the issue persisted. I'm frustrated, internet disconnected 3 times in the last 30 minutes
Please HELP

I would look at getting a new modem, and not one from your ISP if you can help it. I went with my own years ago. I actually get more speed than my ISP plan is for because the modem is not throttling me, plus I don't have to worry about my ISP dicking around with its settings.

The only thing left to replace was the line going from the telephone junction box to my apartment, The ISP told me its the reason for the disconnections since whenever I touched it a static noise would be heard through the landline. I hesitated since it costs a lot and it shouldn't get damaged since its an external line going through the building towards my apartment and into the other end of the filter.
Hold on a hot minute, I know there are country differences here but why are YOU paying for a telco line in an apartment? WHy isn't the ISP or apartment complex paying for this replacement? Only you should be responsible for your own equipment.

I would look at getting a new modem, and not one from your ISP if you can help it. I went with my own years ago. I actually get more speed than my ISP plan is for because the modem is not throttling me, plus I don't have to worry about my ISP dicking around with its settings.
yea the tplink is not from the isp, I bought it on my own. BTW i ran PRTG network monitoring and all sensors are green, showed one red flag (when net was down) siting (Error 4 occurred while querying DNS Server: Domain name not found.) it was the DNS v2 sensor showing internet was down for 40 sec

Thanks for the suggestion anyways

Hold on a hot minute, I know there are country differences here but why are YOU paying for a telco line in an apartment? WHy isn't the ISP or apartment complex paying for this replacement? Only you should be responsible for your own equipment.
except in Lebanon. Any suggestion? i ran PRTG network monitoring and all sensors are green, showed one red flag (when net was down) siting (Error 4 occurred while querying DNS Server: Domain name not found.) showing net was down for 40 sec. Its really weird, in the last 8 hours it disconnected once. While from 12 to 1pm it disconnected 5 times!

How long does it stay down when it does go down?
the internet light on my modem would go off, also ping will spike mid games. I had to restart it each time, this would solve the problem.
This tells me there is something wrong with the junction, line, or something beyond their core causing a drop out.
Error 4 occurred while querying DNS Server: Domain name not found
This at face value says you have a DNS issue. If you are using the ISP provided DNS (setting auto for DNS/domain name service in your router WAN settings) then change it to something else like 1.1.1.1

except in Lebanon.
That is absolutely insane that a utility provider expects a customer to provide and maintain their own line for service.

How long does it stay down when it does go down?

This tells me there is something wrong with the junction, line, or something beyond their core causing a drop out.

This at face value says you have a DNS issue. If you are using the ISP provided DNS (setting auto for DNS/domain name service in your router WAN settings) then change it to something else like 1.1.1.1

That is absolutely insane that a utility provider expects a customer to provide and maintain their own line for service.
Hi, can you provide an easy link or video on how to change dns settings. I have zero knowledge and in this link they sate that only users who are proficient with configuring operating system settings make these changes. https://developers.google.com/speed/public-dns/docs/using
Thanks

Step 1: Open a web browser.
Step 2: Input your equipment’s IP address or login URL—you can usually find this printed on a sticker attached to the back or bottom of the equipment.
Step 3: Enter the username and password—also usually printed on a sticker attached to the back or bottom of the equipment.
Step 4: Find the firmware version number—often labeled and displayed in the upper-right corner of your equipment’s initial settings page.
Step 5: Run a web search or check your equipment manufacturer’s website to make sure your firmware version number matches the version number of the latest update. This is usually as simple as googling your equipment’s manufacturer name and model number followed by the words “latest update.”.

Regards,
Peter

Back
Top Bottom