Internet Connection Sharing

Status
Not open for further replies.

m3trj

Fully Optimized
I am trying to enable Internet Connection Sharing on one of my computers. The Internet is through a wireless LAN card, and the client connects through a wired network card. When I try to enable ICS on the wireless connection, I get the message:

"Internet Connection Sharing cannot be enabled.
A LAN connection is already configured with the IP address that is required for automatic IP addressing."

This has confused me because I have changed the IP addess of my router to 192.168.0.20, so there is nothing on the network using 192.168.0.1, which I think ICS requires. Can anyone help me here?

Thanks in advance.

Aha I see.

The reason I want ICS with a router is because:

The computer with the wireless card is OK connected straight to the router wirelessley, which also has a 10Mb NIC, but then I have this other computer that I want online. I thought rather than buy another wireless card for it, I'd just connect it to the other computer to get it online. Also it only has ISA slots, so I probably can't get a wireless card for it.

I can only use wireless from the location of the computers also, a wire won't reach.

So will I need to change the subnet of something somewhere? Can I have some advice as to how to change it and what to?

Thank you.

you can buy a usb wireless nic....if the pc has usb ports

i suggest that you eliminate the router. ICS is not meant to run with a router in the network. Setup either pc with the inet connection and implement ics. Disadvantages to this setup is that the pc setup with inet access must be turned on and connected to server access to the client pc.

http://www.homenethelp.com/ics/ics-install-netxp.asp

Hmm, I don't think I can eliminate the router, and the computer doesn't have USB ports unfortunately.

sure you can, just unplug it. connect your modem to a computer. config the pc for inet access. then follow the tutorial in the link above.

Well the thing is, it's not my router. I have to leave it where it is, with the Internet connected. If I do something with the subnets can I enable ICS with the router still there?

i dont like it. i dont like it one bit.

however, try changing your router's ip to 192.168.1.1. set it to dish out ips in the 192.168.1.x range.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom