internet connection driving me crazy, please help for the love of god!

jlk

Solid State Member
hi,

my wireless internet connection has gone weird recently and finally stopped working tonight. recently it had been disconnecting, and then everytime i tried to connect it would come up with an error and not work at all. then anything from 5 minutes to an hour later, when i tried to connect it would connect absolutely fine. windows (7) would tell me to do all the usual stuff like turn off/on router which i did all to no avail. when it started acting odd, coincided with me only being able to have my laptop connect, my ipod etc no longer could connect (though it was fine putting xbox to it via an ethernet cable, which is how my laptop is connected now)

however tonight it happened again, and i tried all the usual stuff. but now it wont work at all after ages. the router also seems to have reset itself as its gone back to the factory name. i have no idea where to start looking for what is wrong with this, so any help at all would be great. thanks in advance

Sounds like the router is the problem if it is back at factory settings. I'd do a factory reset (there's a small pin-hole button on the back). Then reset up the router and see if it works. If so then see if it keeps working, if not then it's possibly the router.

Also, see if your laptop has any trouble connecting at another place with wireless. Or see if someone else's laptop has any trouble.

okay so the network not working for a short time and then coming back has happened again after a few hours of working. what could be causing it to stop working for x amount of time and then come back completely fine.

its full signal and everything so its not that :confused::confused:

Does this problem occur over wireless, hard wired (ethernet), or both?

If it's wireless, make sure you are cloes enough. Make sure there is no interference (like a cordless phone). Make sure the wireless is password protected (and change the password in-case someone might have guessed it). Try a different wireless device or take your wireless device somewhere where there is wireless and make sure it doesn't do the same thing.

If it's wired, make sure the cables are not faulty. Make sure the ends are still good and that they are pushed in all the way (you can verify this by looking at the LED indicator on the router to make sure it's not going off when it's not working). Try a different cable.

If it's both then I'd guess it might be something with the modem. Have you checked the LED lights on the modem & router when this happens? Are they all on and still green and flashing "normally"?

After emailing the renting agency, they said that its a problem that occured yesterday with the cables and is affecting a large number of people. not entirely sure how much I believe this as there had been problems before this, and theyre a pretty shitty agency. Though everything seems to be working fine atm.

its problems only with the wireless, router is in the same room and is password protected. laptop and ipod both worked fine in wifi at the library and working fine here now too

A problem with their wires isn't going to effect just your wireless (unless you just didn't notice it effecting the hard wired equipment because you weren't using it or whatever). I guess just keep us updated.

I wrote my own eBook on networking not long ago after having almost the same issues as you are. Do the following:
Change your Domain Name Server to 8.8.8.8 and alternate is 8.8.4.4. Still having issues? Then switch back. I then will get you to release your IP and assign a new one.
-> open elevated CMD -> ipconfig /release and hit enter -> to assign your new IP -> ipconfig /renew
Still not working? -> open browser -> in the browser URL put in 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.0.1 then log into your router - the default username is usually admin and the default password id admin. However you may have changed this previously. When you have logged in find the button that says re-configure router (or alike). It took me about six hours to figure out that all that needed to be done was a re-configuration of the router. Hope this helps.

Back
Top Bottom