Internet connection - connected but nothing?!

Labyrus

Solid State Member
Hey guys,

My new laptop is annoying me. I installed the windows updates (for XP) when I got home and even the AOL update I've been putting off.

Anyway, the thing restarted and I go to open up Firefox and AOL. AOL can't get past looking up the TCP and Firefox looks up the website and then says "Connecting to yaddayaddayadda.com..." and then nothing.

I've unplugged the cable modem, restarted the computer...nothing.

Now I'm using my girlfriend's laptop. We're both connected to the same router connect to the same modem. This is all hardline, not wireless. She connects no problem.

Do you guys have any idea why my laptop and it's browsers will connect to the internet, but not actually finish "connecting" ?

Check to make sure your wireless connection is not disabled. Open up network connections and look to see if there is a red "x" on your wireless connection.

Well, whether the wireless is enabled or disabled, I still can't get on.

I tried connecting with the wireless and it, too, gives me the "Unable to connect" message awhile.

It's not AOL, because Firefox nor my other internet clients can ever finish connecting.

Do you think it could have been something from the Windows update?

Just a follow-up: I was using ZoneAlarm's firewall. Just for giggles, I enabled the Windows firewall and it started working again...makes no sense to me, as ZoneAlarm wasn't blocking the programs I was using...

Back
Top Bottom