Interesting HdD Problem

kjman87

Daemon Poster
I installed a 500GB Seagate 7200.1 IDE HDD in my dads HP computer that had already had a seconday hard drive in it...

I removed the old 250 and put the 500 in and went to look for it in the disk management area and found it and went to format it...would not complete format. quick or normal.

anyway after that it stopped being recognized by windows all together not in disk managment, or my computer or anything but is still found by the bios...

any ideas???

-Kev

it is a slave drive(no need for OS, just data)...i tried to format it...but the format failed. Now I can not even find the drive on the device manager or anything.

so the computer runs proberly???

was the 250Gb the main HDD that you replaced with the 500 . or was it the seconrdary

I installed a 500GB Seagate 7200.1 IDE HDD in my dads HP computer that had already had a seconday hard drive in it...

I removed the old 250 and put the 500 in and went to look for it in the disk management area and found it and went to format it...would not complete format. quick or normal.

anyway after that it stopped being recognized by windows all together not in disk managment, or my computer or anything but is still found by the bios...

any ideas???

-Kev

it is a slave drive(no need for OS, just data)...i tried to format it...but the format failed. Now I can not even find the drive on the device manager or anything.

Seagate site, d/load the diagnostic tools, run said tools on drive

completely off topic ... @ bobert, where in QLD mate?? Gladstone CQ here

-No I did not try to replace the main HD with this one.
computer runs fine, windows just doesnt see the drive.

-Jumpers are set to slave

-I have the diagnostic tools but cant run on the drive if windows does not recognize the drive.

-I have the diagnostic tools but cant run on the drive if windows does not recognize the drive.

There is a bootabled CD version of those tools. Get that and run it. Assuming the hard drive is half-good, the bootable CD should see it.

Back
Top Bottom