Intel's Conroe Countdown

July 23rd is the scheduled release of Intel's Core 2 Duo Conroe processors. But, AMD has big plans on reducing the cost on their line of CPUs just to make it interesting. AMD plan to drastically cut prices on its desktop processors after the July 23rd release Conroe processors. The following price cuts will become effective July 24th, 2006:

AMD Athlon 64 price cuts will receive price cut up to 30%
AMD Athlon 64 X2 will receive price cuts up to 50%
AMD Sempron processors will receive price cuts up to 15%

It is believed that only the AM2 processors will utilize this discount however the AM2 parts are now priced identically with Socket 939 components. AMD has previously indicated that the aim of the AM2 processors was to be price competitive with its legacy components such as that of Socket 939. Several of the dual core CPUs do not show a price drop, but it's possible AMD has just not announced the pricing on these processors yet. The Athlon 64 FX model line will not receive any price reduction of course, hehe.

Perhaps the most interesting price reductions are on the Athlon 64 X2 dual core line. There are claims that the Athlon 64 X2 3800+ will fall from a processor-in-box (PIB) of $303 to $169!!!! Single core Athlon 64 3800+ processors will fall from $290 all the way to $139 through special promotions!!! The AMD Athlon and Sempron Energy Efficient models do not show any price reduction.

Intel already announced that it will also cut prices of its Pentium D and Pentium 4 processors between now and the general availability of Conroe. Conroe benchmarks have recently surfaced with significant performance advantages over Athlon 64, but the largest advantage of the processor until now has been the price advantage. With AMD and Intel in a price war over next generation processors, ultimately consumers will benefit the most.

65nm SOI AMD Athlon 64 Revision G processors are expected to ship this December. So those of you anticipating builds, wait until after July where everything starts coming down in price. Overall price estimates may vary on retailers.

TRDCorolla said:
Perhaps the most interesting price reductions are on the Athlon 64 X2 dual core line. There are claims that the Athlon 64 X2 3800+ will fall from a processor-in-box (PIB) of $303 to $169!!!! Single core Athlon 64 3800+ processors will fall from $290 all the way to $139 through special promotions!!! The AMD Athlon and Sempron Energy Efficient models do not show any price reduction.
wow. i guess it wont be long until i upgrade to x2's. even tho i just bought my 3200+.

I think I'll go with the Intel Core 2 Duo E6600. :D For $310, the performance is pretty damn good.

Back
Top Bottom