intel

Don't quote me on this, but I believe it would be on par with the E6400, maybe a hair worse.

I'm guessing the E6400 also. I saw some tests from a link from some post in here. Think it was through toms hardware. I know for a fact the E6600 beats it in every test. If your worried about price in a upgrade just buy a E6300 and overclock it to a 2.6ghz. You wouldn't need anything special possibly a better fan but it would smoke a Fx-60. Heres a nice sample of some good core2duo overclocks.

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?p=1907494#post1907494

Well, this is why I'm asking this question,

My friend has a AMD-fx60, Asus A8n32-SLI, 7900GTX, 74 gig raptor, two gigs of Corsair XMS memory..he wants to upgrade to an Intel because he isn't really that happy w. his setup.

I was like its not a good time to upgrade wait for more DX10 cards to come out, but as far as processors go what do you think will make him happy?

CompMan said:
Well, this is why I'm asking this question,

My friend has a AMD-fx60, Asus A8n32-SLI, 7900GTX, 74 gig raptor, two gigs of Corsair XMS memory..he wants to upgrade to an Intel because he isn't really that happy w. his setup.

I was like its not a good time to upgrade wait for more DX10 cards to come out, but as far as processors go what do you think will make him happy?

Looking at the 7900GTX, I'm assuming this PC is mainly for gaming. In that case, he shouldn't even really need a new processor. Sure, some (most) of the Core 2 Duos are better, but it's not as if AMDs suck just because Intel is on top. Some people are still getting a good gaming experience from P4s. The main reason the FX-60 isn't recommended now is because it costs way more than Intel's competitors. And second of all, games aren't usually processor-limited, unless it's multi-threaded and you're stuck with a single core. I honestly don't see upgrading to C2D as a worthy investment coming from an FX-60. But I know from experience that the motherboard and RAM are good. ;) Plus a 10k hard drive must be really nice.

So with all that in mind, all he would really need to upgrade would be the graphics card (even though the 7900GTX is a beast of a card to begin with), which is probably the most contributing part for gaming. I'd advise him to get a DX10 card if he is dissatisfied with his current setup. I'd just slap in an 8800GTS/GTX if he has the money for either, or wait for the 8600 Ultra. The 8600 Ultra is looking really good to me now, and it's supposed to be under $200. It's supposed to be coming out in March.

If he insists on switching to Intel, at least get an E6400, preferably an E6600. Anything up from there would be superb.

Back
Top Bottom