Intel losing their minds?! (Minor rant)

MadmanRB

In Runtime
Ah intel, for many they are the be the gold standard for CPU manufacturers , for over a decade they have been the one dominant company as far as processors are concerned.
But it seems now in the wake of AMD's new Ryzen platform it seems all those years of dominance have turned the brains of Intel to melt into a puddle in their reaction to it.

First lets talk about Kaby Lake X and hoo boy is this one a royal mess.
Now dont get me wrong there is nothing wrong with enthusiast grade processors, Ryzen will soon have threadripper and i will be very interested in how that looks in comparison with what I have in my Ryzen 7 1700.
But looking at the Core i7-7740X and the Core i5-7640X they are simply repackaged versions of the 7600K and the 7700k meaning that the so called enthusiast grade is getting a processor that you can buy for cheaper on the non enthusiast grade platform. Intel has failed to make this new platform to look appealing on that front.
Look I am not saying the whole of the X299 platform is bad but man is there a lot of other things wrong with it, like limited PCI express lanes.
I mean yes Z270 is getting old but the new platform looks very weak compared to what AMD is offering right now, not saying AMD is perfect as it does lack single thread performance but everything else looks rather silly.

But hey i can ignore that part if I wished but i cannot ignore the rumor that intel may be killing off the Pentium G4560 and all I can say is what the flying bleep?
Yes though rumor has it (for now) Intel may be killing off thier best budget processor the Pentium G4560

https://www.pcper.com/news/Processors/Rumor-Intel-May-Discontinue-Pentium-G4560-Processor

Intel could Limit production of Pentium G4560 to boost Core i3 sales

So in effort to boost the sales of the core i3 a processor line that lately has looked very silly recently when you could get a processor that can do just as well as it with the Pentium G4560 intel decides that no getting money from people who want to build a budget gaming PC using what is hands down one of the best processors for the money is not good enough?
What kind of bullbleep business decision is this crap?
Its like goddamned GM being pissed off that Cadillac and Buick sales are down so the best thing to do is to kill Chevrolet!
Or Toyota thinking that the best way to sell a Lexus is to terminate the name Toyota!
What is Chrysler going to kill off Dodge, Jeep and bleep Fiats now?
If this rumor does turn out to be the truth then Intel seriously needs to find the first large body of water, tie a stone to their legs and jump in.
I mean really this is your answer to AMD intel, kill off a great budget processor so you can sell your bleep i3's that very soon will look rather bleep when Ryzen 3 comes out.
Good job intel, well done you pea brained money grabbing imbeciles.
If this really is your answer to AMD then you deserve to have your collective asses kicked by AMD.
Its one thing to make a rather questionable platform that is Kaby Lake X and its another to even think of killing off a processor that is making you money.

Last edited:
Bit late on the rant there as I already had that almost a month ago when the rumors for X299 were kicking around. Threadripper will be exactly like what we have now except double the core capacity.

Intel's knee jerk reaction was simply because they were caught with their pants down and everything is in the name of keeping their income flow. Take away the Pentium chip in direct competition of the more expensive chip, and rebrand mainstream chips for the HEDT platform so they can sell more similar SKUs for more money. X299 is a royal cluster **** and all of this just shows how much Intel has needed good competition for a straight decade. I mean literally each generation of chip has been practically the same since Sandy Bridge and it's taken AMD this long to catch up. Hence the knee jerk reaction when Ryzen came out. This is all being said without taking consideration how much market share AMD will take from Intel with EPYC in the enterprise space and datacenters. The next year will be amazing for consumers as long as flash prices don't continue to skyrocket.

Damn that's a satisfying read :p I've been an Intel fanboy most of my life, but **** me the last few years have definitely shifted me to the red team. Considering my next upgrade will include a new mobo for some sweet nvme/m2 support anyway, I'll 100% be going with a Ryzen-based build.

I mean they still have their advantages but now it's moot unlike the old days. AMD have been riding on the shirt tails of Jim and it's quite obvious. I just go where the performance is.

Yeah but its not like AMD is that far off with Ryzen, I mean yes the 7700K is still the best gaming processor but Ryzen still beats the tar out of it in what you can do with it outside of gaming.
FPS doesnt matter when you can game and stream at the same time, the 6 core and 8 core Ryzens certainly more favor multitasking.
Intels gains can only go so high before you see where Ryzen will offer a better choice.
Heck for gaming i still would rather buy the AMD Ryzen 5 1500X over the 7700K as yes the 7700K is better at gaming but the 1500X is the better value especially when having to use it with a GPU which is still very high due to etherium mining right now.
AMD didnt have to beat the 7700K they just had to undermine it and by golly they sure as hell achieved that.

Last edited:
Unless my gaming performance is bottlenecked going with Ryzen I honestly couldn't care, and for me at this point I almost want to just stick it to Intel anyway to teach them a lesson for the **** show that the last 4 years has been. I mean hell, I'm running a CPU I purchased 6 YEARS ago in 2011. Still keeps up just fine, all the games I play with settings maxed out. Wtf have they been doing for those 6 years?
Well done to AMD for finding an excellent solution for someone in their position, hopefully they don't repeat history and **** themselves now :p

Yeah but its not like AMD is that far off with Ryzen, I mean yes the 7700K is still the best gaming processor but Ryzen still beats the tar out of it in what you can do with it outside of gaming.
FPS doesnt matter when you can game and stream at the same time, the 6 core and 8 core Ryzens certainly more favor multitasking.
Intels gains can only go so high before you see where Ryzen will offer a better choice.
Heck for gaming i still would rather buy the AMD Ryzen 5 1500X over the 7700K as yes the 7700K is better at gaming but the 1500X is the better value especially when having to use it with a GPU which is still very high due to etherium mining right now.
AMD didnt have to beat the 7700K they just had to undermine it and by golly they sure as hell achieved that.
I'm not sure why you're directing this 7700k crap to me when I have quite clearly said in a few threads I agree with you. Yes, I own a 7700k but that's because I had what was essentially the Xeon version of the i7 6700 before it and was an easy swap before Ryzen dropped. I've also said that my next move is Threadripper and I'll have 2 servers running Ryzen very soon. So maybe a chill pill with the agro a bit? I got the 7700k and later on the Z270 board because I gave the Xeon and only supporting board to a friend who is in no position to buy PC parts. I have plans for the 7700k later.

That aside, beats the tar out of it is pretty subjective, actually rather subjective. You drank the PR Koolaid a bit too much because streaming and gaming is a pretty moot thing these days since both AMD and Nvidia GPUs can stream with little to no framerate loss at a high bitrate. I have accidentally left my Steam broadcast on and noticed a few randoms watching my stream which after looking is set to highest quality at 1080p and never noticed a hiccup. That uses CPU, which was an oopsie on my part but didn't hurt me a bit. I can also render a 70Mb (CBR) 4k 30 minute video in Premiere Pro in about 30-45 minutes on stock clocks. The Ryzen chips may knock that down a notch but the give is subjective to whoever the buyer is.

All in all both companies offer solid product and this much needed competition is what was needed to get the ball rolling on processors after a 7 year steamroll from Intel (heh pun intended). Ryzen essentially offers Haswell level IPC which for gaming is perfectly fine, even in 1080p and I've spoken on here quite a few times how to not listen to the nay sayers because their "big performance hit" was like 10-20fps in games already running well over the 60fps target. When realistically it's only about 5-10. A Ryzen 1500 and GTX 970 will still give incredible 1080p performance for the average gamer. I'm talking BF1 1080p Ultra around 80fps incredible. The take is whether or not somebody wants maximum gaming performance with good productivity or excellent gaming performance and maximum productivity. To the person just wanting the most bang for their buck right now I'm always going to suggest a Ryzen chip. Period. I've now built 3 rigs based on Ryzen for other people and they couldn't be happier with what they have and I had lots of fun toying with the chips before they picked them up.

X299 which was the original topic at hand, I'm with you. It's a complete ****ed up knee jerk mess and really a PR disaster. The cold hard bottom end still remains that Intel is still the superior chip for those that just have too much money or a specific need at hand (like superior AVX performance). AMD brought to market exactly what the market needed, the sad part (which was my latter point) they need Jim to pull them out of a hole each time. We will see Ryzen performance increase as they refine to Zen2 but if Jim is under contract by the time they need a new architecture (IE 5-10 years from now) they're stuck in the mud for another half decade at least.

One last point, they're pretty neck and neck when it comes to 4k performance which is why I'm moving to Threadripper. When the real load is moved to the GPU the CPU becomes less and less a liability. Once clockspeeds start to catch up when Zen matures in the next couple of years I think we'll all see that IPC will be about the same.

Unless my gaming performance is bottlenecked going with Ryzen I honestly couldn't care, and for me at this point I almost want to just stick it to Intel anyway to teach them a lesson for the **** show that the last 4 years has been. I mean hell, I'm running a CPU I purchased 6 YEARS ago in 2011. Still keeps up just fine, all the games I play with settings maxed out. Wtf have they been doing for those 6 years?
Well done to AMD for finding an excellent solution for someone in their position, hopefully they don't repeat history and **** themselves now :p
They have been refining their efficiency for mobile platforms since they had quite a while to sit on their hands not upping IPC. Upping efficiency and node shrinks allowed for much higher clocks that gave the illusion of a higher IPC. Besides more advanced prefetchers, cache hierarchy, etc I think you'd be surprised to find that Kaby and Skylake IPC is much closer to Sandy than people want to admit. They also have a much stronger memory interface and core interconnect whereas Ryzens infinity fabric relies strictly on RAM speed to increase core communication.

As far as ****ing themselves, that all depends on whether or not they can secure Jim for their next architecture not. He's the only reason they've put a competitive chip on the market and essentially put their name on the board.

Edit:
Well AMD is taking the proverbial L and I hope they can make Zen last. I just read Jim is working for Tesla now as of 2016.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom