Intel i7 build question

Johnh

Baseband Member
tried to search for this but couldn't find anything, so i apologize if there is already a post about this.

I going to be building a new system in about a month.

Here's what I'm planning:

intel i7 930
ASUS P6x58d
evga gtx460
cooler master gx 750w
wd black 1tb
thermaltake v3 black edition
lg blueray drive

couple questions.

A. do you have any suggestions/ alternatives for any of the parts which you think would work better/ be just as good for cheaper?

B. what heatsink would you recommend for the i7 930? i've been reading different things, and i know a lot of people recommend one of the 'noctua' models? however i think it's hideous (colors) any suggestions?

As always,

Thanks a lot for all your help!

1st of all, what are you going to be using this pc for?
2nd of all, this cpu cooler is great for i7. Thats what i'll be getting with my i7 930 in a week or two.
3rd of all, the WD black caviar is a great hard drive. But I have heard just as good reviews of this hard drive, and its half a terabyte bigger, AND the same price.

Also, what ram will you be using, and what operating system?

I'll be using the computer mostly for photo editing, watching movies/editing video, and a little gaming here and there.

i hadn't seen that heatsink before. as of this morning i was pretty set on the CM Hyper 212 Plus, but this one looks great too! perhaps i'll be able to find some reviews comparing the two.

as for RAM i'm planning on 6GB of G-Skill Trident. again, any better suggestions would be much appreciated. this seemed like a reasonable deal as far as cost/performance

i'll be running primarily windows 7, but i dabble with linux sometimes too

again for everybody else out there, any suggestions or alternatives are much appreciated!!

i might be looking for a different power supply too, as the reviews i've seen for my current selection aren't the greatest. i'm thinking possibly the OCZ modxstream pro 700 modular.

Thanks for all your help!

Ive heard this ram is great with an i7 930. But im not 100% sure. I will be getting an i7 930 also, and am still looking for exactly what ram and monitors to get. But its worth a look.

That does look nice! a bit cheaper than the ones i'm currently looking at as well.

I'm not entirely familiar with all of the terminology and specs when it comes to RAM, what would be the difference between the G-skill ddr3 1600 and ddr3 2000?

possible benefits of either? and/or how much of performance difference? (noticeable?)

Thanks!

Well DDR3 1600 ram is simply ram that runs at 1600 mhz. It just depends on what kind of motherboard and processor you get. With the intel i7 930, it cant handle DDR3 2000 ram. That ram I pointed out does run with the i7 930, but some people say you have to overclock it to make the processor read all of it.

But from 80% of the users I read reviews on, they had no problems at all. I feel confident in that ram. I will be getting it in a few weeks as well.

Back
Top Bottom